PC "dies" after about 1 hour, - but power still on

thegreypanther 17:12 04 Oct 07

I have a Windows XP PC which works fine, - apart from "dying" after about one hour on line.
The PC literally stops working, but the image of the application being worked on at the time remains on the monitor. The mouse cursor disappears, and the only way to progress is to reboot the PC.
I have run Norton Utilities to try and find out if there is a problem. I have defragmented the hard drive. I have checked the power settings, and they are all at "Never Off".
Any ideas as to why the PC apparently "dies" for no good reason? Any tricks I might try to stop these "death episodes"?

Bagsey 17:17 04 Oct 07

You dont say how old your computer is, but I have just recovered from exactly your problem and it was the CPU fan that was not rotating. Bought and fitted new fan and all is now ok. It was an easy job to do.

thegreypanther 17:24 04 Oct 07

Many thanks. I'll certainly give the fan a check-out. Not too good an idea to have the CPU over-heating.

Probabilitydrive 17:35 04 Oct 07

Overheating is definitely a possibility. Exclude it by monitoring the CPU/fan etc with fan speed click here

It monitors vital parameters and is a good diagnostic tool

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:48 04 Oct 07

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017