PC Desktop power supply ticks

Mr Mole 22:46 PM 04 Apr 13

I have a desktop pc that does not power up. Power cable is fine (checked). The power switch on the front of the pc does nothing. The power supply unit does not smell as if burnt out. But when the power cable in the power supply unit a faint ticking can be heard like an old wrist watch. Is this the time to replace the power supply unit or is it more serious. Thanks in advance

spuds 01:04 AM 05 Apr 13

When things tick, it can be an hard-drive, fan or perhaps psu.

Depending on the age, wattage and usage of the existing unit, then a new psu might be the answer. Have a look on eBay for a replacement. I buy my 350w/500w psu's from there for £10/£14 delivered.

onthelimit1 09:00 AM 05 Apr 13

Easy to check using the paper clip test. It's a simple means to bypass the switch on the front of the PC. The video is quite long for a simple job, but is useful if you're not used to working inside the box. The voltages involved are low, so no need to worry.

bjh. 10:42 AM 05 Apr 13

Can I just add that the voltages in a PSU itself are most definitely NOT low. Go near that with a paperclip, and you may have no more worries - ever.

If nothing else is powering up (no lights, no fans, no HDD), I'd buy a new PSU and try it out. Or swap from another machine, if you have one.

onthelimit1 11:27 AM 05 Apr 13

I didn't say the voltages withing the PSU were low - the voltages on the mobo plug, which is the one involved in this, are. I agree you should never open a PSU as they are not repairable.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites