PC dead - retrieve data help wanted

Riddo 11:55 29 Aug 07

My old Pentium II has died - think the power supply has gone - won't switch on, cable is OK. Not too bothered about PC, rarely used it, but how do I cheaply and easily access the data on the hard drive?

iambeavis 12:02 29 Aug 07

Hard disk caddie - click here

iambeavis 12:12 29 Aug 07

Cheaper still - click here

Riddo 12:28 29 Aug 07

Thanks for the caddy links - what on earth is it?! Sorry, am not brill with PCs.

iambeavis 12:38 29 Aug 07

Remove the hard-drive from the PC, put it in the caddy and connect it to another pc - you then use it as an external hard-drive and retrieve your data.

Diemmess 13:41 29 Aug 07

I can't resist amplifying excellent advice.

A good caddie will have its own power supply unit.

It will have a case which is easy to open.

Any usual HD removed from a computer should fit snuggly inside with data and power leads provided and connecting inside the case.
(The old HD is almost certain to be an IDE (ATA) type, not a SATA, but both are available)

Data can be passed to and from another computer via a USB lead which is also supplied with the caddie.

keef66 14:00 29 Aug 07

cheaper still (free) just remove the hdd from the dead pc and install it as a second, slave drive in your new pc.

wee eddie 14:30 29 Aug 07

That is a very Techie solution which would require you to break the Warranty Conditions of most new PC's and would also require you to know how to set it up as a Slave Drive. Not exactly beginners material really.

keef66 17:19 29 Aug 07

I know, but Riddo didn't post in absolute beginners, and I thought I'd point out the cost-free option anyway.
Only after posting did I spot the 'Sorry, am not brill with PCs' comment.

A caddy is without doubt the easiest way to go.

Riddo 08:14 30 Aug 07

Many many thanks folks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…