PC dead, NO POST

samstuart 21:16 14 Apr 07

Hi All, I run XPpro sp2, Athlon 1800 processor, 1g ram ,Lex BN 790E M/B
and 2/ 80g drives
Switched on this morning and no post, the last thing I attached to pc was an 80g drive for b/up.I removed it and checked memory , moved slots and tried one at a time, still no post.The power comes on ok but if I leave it running it switches off after about a min.I have tried a replacement psu and reset cmos by taking out battery.I have also removed cmos jumper.Nothing has worked. Any help will be gratefully received,.....sam stuart

Technotiger 21:20 14 Apr 07

Hi, assuming that was a second internal drive - did you remember to set the jumpers accordingly?

woodchip 21:21 14 Apr 07

PSU = Power Supply as Gone, the extra load as killed it. Top back box inside the computer, get a 500 watt

woodchip 21:22 14 Apr 07

No Post, it does not get that far

phono 21:34 14 Apr 07

Strip the system back to motherboard only with 1 stick of RAM, CPU and video card fitted and nothing else, that is no drive cables etc plugged into mobo, and see if it POSTs, get back with the result.

Kate B 21:35 14 Apr 07

Sounds like a dead mobo - could just be horrible coincidence that it's happened just as you added the new HDD.

samstuart 21:36 14 Apr 07

Have tried a different psu no change. It is powering up but not posting.If left on it swithces off after about 1 min,nothing starts,no monitor etc......sam stuart

woodchip 21:39 14 Apr 07

Looks like the PSU as blown the Mobo when it went. It did it with my 98se comp, plus CPU and Hard Drive. a compleate rebuild. If I had known I would have upgraded to faster CPU at the time but thought CPU etc was ok

samstuart 21:46 14 Apr 07

Hi Phono,your'e a genius, it posted, is there any particular order I should replace connections....sam

woodchip 21:52 14 Apr 07

Connect the original Hard Drive to see if it boots

woodchip 21:54 14 Apr 07

What size PSU you you test the comp with? It it was a small one it would not power up

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…