PC DEAD - need to recover data from HDD

Multi_sheep 04:17 25 Aug 09

Hey Guys,

For the past month my pc has failed to bootup successfully, i have tried all 3 safe mode sequences to no avail, I have also tried doing system restores on boot but only to bring me back to square one because everytime i try it just restarts. I can get upto the XP user logon but once it begins to load, it just crashes.

The obvious thing is that something has been corrupted along the way and now it will no longer let me get further then the logon screen. I know the best thing is to reformat but i have lots of photos, college work and artwork saved on the HDD, i want to take some of it before i do so.

My question is then - Would i be able to connect the HDD into another PC [making it a slave so it wont attempt to use it for startup] and just browse and remove the data i need via the computer? Its only that i dont think any of my files are damaged, just certain corrupt code preventing startup.

Any responses will greatly appreciated!

ened 06:44 25 Aug 09

The simple answer is yes.

Take it out and put it in another pc and access it through My Computer, transfer the pictures etc. Job Done.

I assume it is an ide drive so you will have to change the jumper to slave if you have it on the same channel as your main Hard Drive.

If it is sata you can just plug it in.

After you have plugged it in I should run the anti-virus on it because you don't want to transfer any nasties to the good machine.

Are you sure you can't access it where it is?

Have you tried Safe mode or last good config.?

Technotiger 07:47 25 Aug 09

Or to save going into your good PC's case, you could put the hard drive from the problem PC into a hard-drive enclosure and connect to good PC via USB.

click here

sharpamat 09:27 25 Aug 09

As this is clearly XP many of these systems came with both recovary and an XP disc.

I presume you have tried both scannow and an xp repair, neither of these should deleat and data full details are on the forum for both. whilst recovary will normally return to factory settings and you will loose all data on the drive.

If you have another computer the Caddy method has already been detialed above provided the other computer has a USB2 port

It is another example of the need to back up information to an external scource

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced