PC Daily Electricity consumption.

buckland 20:09 19 Oct 08

Can anyone give me an approximate figure in KwH of the amount of electricity used daily by my Dell Dimension 4500 Desktop PC with a Dell 15" Screen. Based on the outfit being switched on for 14 hours per day of which "Stand-by time" periods give an accumulative total of 7 hours. "Stand-by" for me is when after 20 minutes of non-usage the PC automatically goes to a blank screen and the VDU light goes dim and all comes back to life when the Mouse is moved around. The outfit also has a WD Back-up 500GB Book which is turned off most of the time anyway plus an Orange Broadband Modem. I have been told that I am probably burning about 7 KwH per day but this sounds a lot to me. Many thanks for any advice. Regards, Buckland.

cocteau48 20:12 19 Oct 08
  Picklefactory 11:52 20 Oct 08

Was in B&Q over the weekend, they have a plug-in power monitor for aboout £6. Program your supplier Kw/hr cost into the adaptor, plug it into the wall, plug pc (Or any device) into the adaptor and it gives you an accurate running cost.

howard64 16:54 20 Oct 08

a simple no cost way of working it out. Pick a low power usage time of day for your home. Often overnight - your house will probably only have a fridge or freezer running. Read your electricity meter before you go to bed with most things switched off. Read it again in the morning. Record the difference which is the kWh used during the night. Do the same for the same period of time with your pc switched on. The extra kWh will be the standby usage of electricity by your system. Multiplied by 90 gives the consuption per quarter. You can find the usage of your system by again picking a time of day and recording it with your pc off then the following day do the same with you using your system not on standby. The chances are you will hardly see a difference most pc systems do not use much power especially without an old crt monitor.

buckland 01:24 24 Oct 08

Many thanks to cocteasu48, Picklefactory and howard64 for your various suggestions. I shall be trying them all. Your assistance much appreciated. Regards, Buckland.

mooly 08:22 24 Oct 08

Every watt burned per 24 hours ( very very approximately ) costs you 1 pound per year. It's surprising how it adds up. TV on standby could be as low as 0.5 watt for a new model maybe 10 watts for an older one, VCR, DVD, set top box, The PC !! Some DVD recorders burn 15 or 20 watts in standby.
If you have a modern electric meter with an LED that flashes it will say something like 1000 flashes per killowat hour. Switch of everything in the house except the PC and count the flashes over say 5 minutes and work it out. Energy monitors are great but the accuracy can fall of at low values of power consumed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now