pc cuts out

garabaldi 07:40 13 Mar 07

hi...i was just wondering if anyone out there can help, basicly my computer cuts out after about 5 mins. apart from that its ok

Gongoozler 07:50 13 Mar 07

When your PC cuts out, do you mean that the power turns off or does it simply drop out of Windows? Does it restart itself or do you have to turn it on again? If the power turns off how long do you have to wait before you are able to restart it?

garabaldi 17:03 13 Mar 07

no.... the power completely stops and then it will not restart for another 5 mins or so

uesquebeathus 17:15 13 Mar 07

make sure that all the fans are running, look at the CPU cooling fan on the motherboard, if it is not running, do not use the computer until its replaced or you could burn out the CPU.
hold your hand at the back of the case is the an airflow from the back of the power supply unit? if not then the PSU requires replacement.
quick power offs are often due to over heating, so check the fans, you could give it a good dusting as they can get clogged up with fluff and other dust particles.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:16 13 Mar 07

Sounds like and overheat problem or a failing PSU.

make sure all your fans are running and blades and vents are clear of dust.

use something like speed fan click here to monitor temperatures.

If temps are okay and it is still failing then I suggest to buy a new PSU.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

uesquebeathus 17:18 13 Mar 07

do not attempt to get inside the power supply unit unless you are qualified as they are very dangerous they can inflict a very high electric shock.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant