PC Crashing suddenly

w-gemini 12:55 22 Dec 07

My PC started crashing suddenly. I was also getting corrupt file reports from different parts of the disk. Programs were also being corrupted on install. I thought I had a virus so I purchased a new hard disk and tried to reinstall using the Windows XP inc SP2 CD. The disk formatted OK but when the files were being copied to the installation folders I find that several files would not copy over. After several attempts I pressed escape on these files. Ultimately Windows informed me that it could not install. I attempted to install several times with the PC showing different files that would not copy over. A colleague checked the hard disk in another PC and it is OK.
Specs. Asrock Mobo, Pentium D processor, 2x 1GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1600 graphics.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

thms 13:08 22 Dec 07

Could be a faulty cd reader or your installation disc is damaged. You say that you have had problems loading programs have you tried cleaning your cd player?

w-gemini 19:45 22 Dec 07

Thanks for your help. It turned out to be a RAM stick that was faulty. Not only did it corrupt Windows start up files but also running programs. Hope this helps if anybody else has a similar problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5