//some 3rd party need geo

PC Crashing for no reason that I can find.

Phrontis 13:39 25 Nov 04

My PC keeps on crashing for no reason that I can find. Athlon 1900, 512Mbm, ATI 8500 VGA on a SOYO Dragon Plus board, Windows 2000 including all updates. It will crash to a black screen and not restart or it will freeze (both need reset pressing). It will do it at night (I leave it on all the time) when its not in use, when I am using the internet, in Word or mainly when watching video clips. I use Sophos every day and Adware6, Spybot and Hijack this, there is nothing any of these can find. I have remounted the CPU, tried another stick of memory, checked the CPU temps (38C) max and the voltages.

Anyone any pointers or is it upgrade MB, processor ann memory time?

Phrontis.

MichelleC 14:15 25 Nov 04

It could be a heat issue or maybe cpu. If it happens mainly using large files like videos it's draining resources.

Wak 17:28 25 Nov 04

I assume you have done the obvious thing like checking your system files (running SFC)???

Phrontis 13:09 26 Nov 04

You have lost me what is SFC?

When I rebooted again just before coming on the forum (it went off overnight again) it came up with CMOS Checksum Error, press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.

Not too sure what the CMOS error is, so no point in looking at the setup if I don,t know what to alter.

Phrontis

Phrontis 13:09 26 Nov 04

You have lost me what is SFC?

When I rebooted again just before coming on the forum (it went off overnight again) it came up with CMOS Checksum Error, press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup.

Not too sure what the CMOS error is, so no point in looking at the setup if I don,t know what to alter.

Phrontis

woodchip 13:24 26 Nov 04

Don't think there is SFC in Win2000 it's the System File Checker

woodchip 13:26 26 Nov 04

You need a new motherboard Battery for the Checksum Error. You will have to go into BIOS after you fit the new battery to set the time etc

Phrontis 13:35 26 Nov 04

Thanks, I had a quick look at Google and found out about the battery. The only trouble is I dont think this will cause the locking up will it? It just did it again while I was in the forum so I,m now on my laptop, the PC is just to unreliable to use.

PS sorry about the double post.

Phrontis

woodchip 14:20 26 Nov 04

Got to admit! I know nothing about Win2000. But see if there is a MSCONFIG. By going to Start\Run and type it in the box press enter if it's there go to startup tab, and remove ticks then try computer to see how it goes if it runs OK then put one tick back at a time until you find the problem

MichelleC 14:21 26 Nov 04

There is sfc in w2k: type cmd in RUN, then type sfc /scannow (note space) and put in os disc. If you want to see if any system files have been replaced:

Click Start, Run, Type: eventvwr.msc and then Click OK

Click System

Then under Source find Windows File Protection (WFP) If there are only two entries, it means 1) It started 2) It finished.

If there are any more it means it has replaced a file. Just double click it to find out what it has done. (Thanks to Powerless)

_funkydude_ 15:00 26 Nov 04

have you simply tried running scandisk? the could easily be an error in a file you are trying to run or cross linked files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…