PC crashing, monitors turning random colours!

Maxident 30 Mar 12

My PC: Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601) processor: 2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X3 720 Multi-core (3 total) Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA770-UD3 6144 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (3x2GB sticks) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 [Display adapter] and 2x Novita 22.3" 2202WHD Monitors

basically, when I play games I should easily be able to run (dungeon defenders on steam for example, but non-steam games also) I get a strange crash where both screens go a different random colour, and sometimes the sound continues for less then a minute, but always ends with a single tone, and then goes silent and the screens stay lit, until I restart. here's a picture, but the screens go different colours each time

http://tinypic.com/r/s30ieh/5

also not every game causes it to crash, but most do, after somewhere between 30min-4hrs

Help!

Woolwell 30 Mar 12

Graphics drivers up to date?

Maxident 30 Mar 12

did a fresh install today, uninstalled first and all

rdave13 30 Mar 12

Try running for a while in safe mode with networking to see if ok. It runs in basic mode and if Windows basic graphics drivers ok then either the card or PSU is failing in my humble opinion.

lotvic 30 Mar 12

Graphic card Overheating or CPU maybe? or you can check your PSU is big enough to power pc Power Supply Calculator (online free calculator)

rdave13 31 Mar 12

lotvic, nice one. In my favourites.

Every one else calls them 'bookmarks'. Give you one guess which is my favourite browser?

:)

Terry Brown 31 Mar 12

I suspect that trying to run 2 monitors on a high defination game is overworking the system, try using one screen only to see if it helps. You may have to downgrade your graphics screen slightly (Lower the resolution).

Terry

Maxident 31 Mar 12

cant run anything in safe mode lol

lotvic 31 Mar 12

Do you mean you can't even get into Safe Mode at all?

markd71 31 Mar 12

Minimum System Power Requirement = 500w 1000w should suffice.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Behind the scenes at Silverstone, the 70th British Grand Prix: Hisense starts UK push with Red…

How Found created this skateboard, bike and parkour stunts-laden, single-take car ad

Apple Pay UK launch date, UK user guide and participating UK banks | Apple Pay to launch in UK on 1?…

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message