PC crashing intermitently

paul654 15:01 27 Jan 11

I have a 6 month old 'Palicomp' PC. It has Intel Core i7 860 cpu @ 2.80 ghz, 4Gb Ram, Ati Radeon 5800 HD 1GB, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.
About a month ago It started to shut down and re-start itself. It may go days without doing this then do it 3 times in one day, I'm baffled.I've used System Restore to a date before the trouble started but no luck. I also regularly scan for viruses and run CCleaner. Before I start talking to Palicomp on their expensive helpline I thought I'd post this for any sugestions...and please dont suggest I shouldn't have bought a Palicomp in the first place....I did get the recomendation from PCA

johndrew 15:10 27 Jan 11

Often this type of behaviour can result from CPU overheat problems. The cause of the overheat may be poor airflow as a result of dirt/dust, a failing fan or a bad thermal connection between the heatsink and CPU. The CPU shuts down if beyond its normal max temp to prevent damage.

Probably the first place to start is to have a look at temperatures & fan speeds using something like Everest Home (its free) click here.

You could also have a look around inside to see if everything is clean. Make certain you turn off and disconnect first.

Seth Haniel 15:17 27 Jan 11

Windows Explorer - right click 'My Computer' - select 'Properties'
on System properties -select 'Advanced' - select on 'Start Up and Recovery' 'Settings'
under 'System Failure' untick 'Automatically restart' click OK

may be simple thing triggering the restart ;)

onthelimit 15:31 27 Jan 11

If it's only 6 mths old, I would think dust/clogging is unlikely. I'd just return it for them to sort out under warranty.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:40 27 Jan 11

control panel >> system and security >> system >> advanced system settings >> startup and recovery settings >> untick 'auto restart' box
you can then see whatever error message caused the shutdown, post it back here.

woodchip 18:13 27 Jan 11

You can also check the Event Viewer to see if it registered anything

bgrave 23:21 27 Jan 11

I had this exact problem and in the end I had to replace the PSU; after this it was ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…