PC Crashes when writing large video files

Jack Daniels 09:33 05 Feb 05

I am running Windows XP ith SP2 on a PC with 1GB AMD Athlon Processor, 384Mb of RAM and two hard drives 80GB and 40GB.

I continually experience problems when I try to write video files using ULEAD Video Studio 6. So far through creating the file the PC simply hangs.

More recently I have been using Nero Vision Express 3 to write Slideshows of digital pictures that I have taken to DVD. During the Transcoding process the software either completely exits or the PC reboots or the PC simply hangs.

I have tried many different things including completely wiping my system and only installing Windows XP and Nero, I have tried Windows 2000 and Nero. I have also ensured that there is sufficient virtual memory available.

My main hard drive is partitioned such that my software is on one partition and my documents are on the other partition.

I have run Registry Mechanic and this still does not help.

Has anyone got any more ideas? I am now suspecting that it is a hardware problem of some kind - is there any good hardware checking utilities that could be recommended?

Graham ® 09:55 05 Feb 05

Any clues in Event Viewer?

adam123 09:57 05 Feb 05

Hi Jack,

I had similar problems when writing to a DVD drive. I traced the problem to the cheap DDR memory I was using.

With 384Mb installed I'm guessing you have 128 and a 256 sticks fitted. Try removing the 128 and see it it helps.

Adam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…