PC crashes on downloading files

Ben 216 10:11 22 Feb 07

Hi, I'm trying to sort someone's PC out. When a programme is downloaded from the internet the .exe downloads but then crashes the PC before it's saved to the destination (ie copied from cache to say desktop). This happens in IE6 and Firefox with any .exe. I think it might be a corrupt system file but am not sure which one. It's not a virus; this is a problem that has been occuring since XP was installed.

Any ideas?

Ben 216 20:55 26 Feb 07

Anyone?

if you have the xp disc you could try repairing
xp that way you will not lose any data

Burpie 21:08 26 Feb 07

Which anti-virus is installed on the machine?

It could be that the AV is scanning the download and
holding it in its own quarantined area and then passing the downloaded file (or segments of) to the OS in one big lump.

I'd try disabling the AV and then try a download from a trusted site.

If it still crashes then, as you say, it's likely to be a corrupt Windows file.

Ben 216 21:15 26 Feb 07

When you say repairing do you mean by booting from the XP CD? Or another way?

Ben 216 21:16 26 Feb 07

The AV is a free version of AVAST. I use it and have had no problems, but I will check the settings next time I can look at the PC.

yes boot from the xp disc, then choose install not recovery console, the xp disc will then search for and find any os already installed, then offer to repair or install, choose repair not install as this will mean a format and you will lose your data

Ben 216 21:24 26 Feb 07

Will this replace modified files as well? Such as updates DLL's etc?

no this will replace xp files as they are on the disc that means you will need to update once you are up & running again

Ben 216 18:57 27 Feb 07

It might be a while before I get to give it a go, but will keep the thread updated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos