PC Crashes - BSOD

darttart 17:21 06 Jan 12

Hi,

I recently installed Windows 7 (Home Premium) 32 bit on my PC (Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI, Socket 939 with AMD Athlon 64 3500+ "Venice" CPU). Chipset and other drivers all up to date, but PC crashes to BSOD if I try to install a program from the optical drive. I have installed from USB drive, and can watch DVDs from the optical drive so believe that the drive and the graphics card are working OK. Problem is that I have found out that Windows version (bought on ebay) is not genuine so have bought a new product key. New key is for 64 bit professional version so is not compatible with current installation, but I cannot boot from disk to reinstall new version from an ISO image (can't just install over 32 bit version so need clean install). Any ideas so that I don't have to buy new graphic and optical drive unless I know they aren't working?

Strawballs 18:07 06 Jan 12

Do you have access to an external USB optical drive?

Optical Drives

darttart 18:10 06 Jan 12

Not optical, have 4gb flash and 1tb external HDD on USB. Had considered booting from USB but won't solve problem as to why PC is crashing when I try to install anything from optical drive.

Strawballs 18:18 06 Jan 12

If you can get your new copy installed then if it still not working get a new drive. It could be something to do with pirate copy of current OS.

darttart 18:22 06 Jan 12

Thanks - will try over the weekend and post back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…