PC crashes after new scanner installed.

turkeylurkey 20:26 17 Jun 03

I have recently bough a Canon Canoscan LiDE 30, which, incidentally, is fantastic, but since I installed it my PC has started crashing a lot ie. blue screen of death, screen freezes and PC shutting down on its own. The blue screen says there is an "fatal exception at 04A9:BFF99B32. I have searched Google and the Microsoft knowledge base but neither lists this error. Other problems are that sometimes RAM 'disappears' - I have 408Mb + 8Mb shared by original soundcard, but sometimes the system only recognises 152Mb. I installed extra RAM a year and a half ago with no problems since. Also, the system is slow to respond to keystrokes and the mouse, which is an optical mouse with a Wacom Graphire II tablet.
I haven't had any problems whatsoever until I installed the new scanner.

I have checked and I am using the latest drivers. I have triestalling the graphics tablet drivers as the tablet is the only thing in use on every occasion that it crashes.

The science bit: the system is an AMD K6 500Mhz with 408Mb RAM running Win98 SE. I have not installed any Win 98 updates as the last time I did there were so many problems that the PCA helproom advised me not to. Other hardware used: Epson Photo 890 printer, Canon BJC 400 printer (for text) and the graphics tablet mentioned.

Can anyone advise me what the problem might be and how to fix it? Or can anyone advise me how to go about locating the source of the problem myself? Could it be that the system is just too old for all the newfangled peripherals? I'd be very grateful for any help. Thankyou.

PS I apologise for the longwindedness of this post but I wanted to give as much relevant info as possible.

Jomi 20:45 17 Jun 03

Is the biggest ram chip in the no1 slot?

Have you tried shutting down background stuff that starts up when you switch on the pc and just runs in the background.
go to start/run and type msconfig, under the startup tab uncheck everything that you don't need (not antivirus).

turkeylurkey 20:57 17 Jun 03

is in the no 1 slot, smallest in the no 3 slot.

I'll try running msconfig. Thanks

davidg_richmond 01:17 18 Jun 03

the canon lide 30, if i remember right, runs from the usb power. do you have access to a powered usb hub? or are you already using one?

have you updated your chipset drivers? ie via 4 in 1, intel etc. a lot of usb and scanner problems are down to old chipset drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…