PC crashes after new scanner installed

turkeylurkey 21:36 14 Jun 03

I have recently bough a Canon Canoscan, which, incidentally, is fantastic, but since I installed it my PC has started crashing a lot ie. blue screen of death, screen freezes and PC shutting down on its own. The blue screen says there is an "fatal exception at 04A9:BFF99B32. I have searched Google and the Microsoft knowledge base but neither lists this error. Other problems are that sometimes RAM 'disappears' - I have 408Mb + 8Mb shared by original soundcard, but sometimes the system only recognises 152Mb. I installed extra RAM a year and a half ago with no problems since. Also, the system is slow to respond to keystrokes and the mouse, which is an optical mouse with a Wacom Graphire II tablet.

I haven't had any problems whatsoever until I installed the new scanner.

The science bit: the system is an AMD K6 500Mhz with 408Mb RAM running Win98 SE. I have not installed any Win 98 updates as the last time I did there were so many problems that the PCA helproom advised me not to. Other hardware used: Epson Photo 890 printer, Canon BJC 400 printer (for text) and the graphics tablet mentioned.

Can anyone advise me what the problem might be and how to fix it? I'd be very grateful for any help. Thankyou.

PS I apologise for the longwindedness of this post but I wanted to give as much relevant info as possible.

clayton 21:41 14 Jun 03

Have you looked to see if theres any new drivers for your scanner, also what model no is it.

turkeylurkey 22:16 14 Jun 03

it'a a Canoscan LiDE 30.

When I opened the scanner dialog box to check the driver version and clicked 'properties' I got a blue screen with the error "fatal exception OD at 0028:C000B28A in VXD VMM(01) + 0000A28A"

I then immediately got another blue screen with "fatal exception OC at 0140:00000ACA" followed by another at "OE at 0167:BBFF9DFFF"

I then got a further error (not blue screen) "IEXPLORE caused a general protection fault in module USER.EXE at 0009:0000066F" which froze and I then had to restart my PC!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…