PC Crashed and Cannot Restart

mitchamm 08:23 15 Jul 03

I was trying to install a AMR Smartlink Modem, when my PC, running W98SE, crashed while installing the drivers. The machine just paused and nothing further happended and nothing was working. I reset the PC and when it booted up again the screen was the same as when it crashed except the colours were all messed up. I can restart the PC in Safe Mode, it just won't restart in Normal mode. Anyone got any idea how I can recover the system?

keith-236785 08:26 15 Jul 03

start in safe mode, when you get into windows, goto device manager and remove the modem from the list, then goto add/remove programs and see if you can uninstall the modem there.

then try rebooting

good luck.

Diemmess 08:42 15 Jul 03

If you want a fresh start with a working W98SE.

Take the modem out for the present.

Boot with finger on F8, and at the DOS Menu choose Command Prompt Only.

Type "scanreg /restore" and <Enter>

You will see listed the last five dates when Windows has started properly. Choose one before the trouble started and simply follow the prompts.

Then you can have fun all over again with the Modem!

mitchamm 20:08 15 Jul 03

Cool, managed to get my PC rebooted. One question though, when I insert the AMR Modem Windows doesn't detect it. Is there something I'm not doing?

Gaz 25 20:12 15 Jul 03

Motherboard drivers need to be installed first.

mosfet 21:15 15 Jul 03

could you explain that Gas 25 are not the mb drivers in already.(excuse me still learning)

mitchamm 21:48 16 Jul 03

Ok, have downloaded the drivers for the AMR Modem port. How do I install these as the only .exe file is for uninstallation? (Sorry another one still learning!)

mitchamm 11:09 19 Jul 03

I'm getting there now. I found that within the BIOS I had to turn on the On Board Modem. Which has now been done. However Windows automatically assigns the wrong modem to the one I have and so it doesn't work.

I have tried re-installing Windows and now it asks me for the Setup floppy disk that I was asked t omake to load the old drivers for the modem. How can I stop this happening?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…