PC Crash Strange Screen Images

Hangus 18:40 16 Feb 05

My dad has a problem with his pc which I have been trying to help him with. He was working on it one day and the screen just went blank. The PC eawas still running and the power light was still on on the monitor. All he could do was to turn off the power and reboot. Now, on re boot, the screen has the XP welcome screen, albeit through a haze of horizontal lines, then the screen is filled with what looks like space invaders gone wrong. The pc appears to be booting correctly with all the lights coming on for each drive. But you cannot see anything on the screen. I have swapped the monitor with mine and his monitor works fine on my pc. I have tried booting in safe mode but nothing is displayed on the monitor so I cannot see what it is doing. Any ideas what might be the problem and how I can eliminate each thing. I am thinking memory, graphics, video, and maybe a motherboard. The pc is 18months old, has XP 256mb ram and a celeron processor.

Diodorus Siculus 18:57 16 Feb 05

Can he boot into VGA mode?

Dorsai 19:15 16 Feb 05

I would check 1st to make sure the PC has not accidently been set to use a resolution or refresh rate the monitor does not support.

After that, it might be the GFX card.

It's the next thing in the chain after the monitor.

Hangus 20:11 16 Feb 05

It might boot in VGA mode, it might even boot in safe mode, but as there is nothing displayed on the screen you cannot tell. I will check the GFX card. Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:57 16 Feb 05

If checking and changing graphics card does not work then

Reset the BIOS by removing Cmos battery for a few minutes and the see if it will boot to at least the loading windows screen.

Diodorus Siculus 20:59 16 Feb 05

Does anything appear on screen at any time?

Hangus 23:15 16 Feb 05

Yes. loads of characters which look like space invaders. This comes after the XP welcome screen which is blurred underneath a load of white horizontal lines. Nothing else appears no matter what I try.

woodchip 23:18 16 Feb 05

Virus

VoG II 23:19 16 Feb 05

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration - accessed from the boot menu that also gives Safe Mode etc.

Hangus 09:05 17 Feb 05

Thats just it, I cant see anything on the screen to be able to boot in safe mode or any other mode to be able to do anything at all. Woodchip, which virus do you think it might be?

woodchip 09:52 17 Feb 05

No IDEA but you may be able to download a Floppy Virus checker. if you do not have one.

Read this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…