PC crash. No safe mode

stephen-224025 00:36 14 Sep 03

Hiya,suddenly on start up pc gets to line "boot from ATAPI CD Rom" then NOTHING. Just hangs. I've noticed the CD Rom/DVD drive light stays on but drawer wont open? Tried booting from Win98SE disk but when I get to Safe Mode get "EXPLORER caused invalid" message then nothing. It's Pent 3 running Win98SE Anyone help please??

Lozzy 00:45 14 Sep 03

Boot the PC to MS Dos prompt insert the Win 98 cd at C:\windows> type CD.. then return
then at C:\ type sfc /scannow

Note the space between the C of sfc and the /.

Now if you can get into Win 98 in safe mode click on run and type in SFC then ok making sure that you have the Win 98 cd in the rom that will replace any and all corrupted files

stephen-224025 11:07 14 Sep 03

Thanks so much Lozzy...trying it now...let you know.

stephen-224025 16:11 14 Sep 03

Hey Lozzy, tried but no go....keep getting "bad command" or "not ready reading drive E" (my CD-Rom drive)
Noticed that in MS Dos C:\ has a > (C:\>) always and I can't backspace or just get C:\ ????
Is there anything else I can try??

daxian 16:27 14 Sep 03

hi gawsworthboy ...
boot from the floppy ,at the A: prompt type in
scanreg/restore, this will bring up a list of the last 5 good registry entries ...
choose the the one with the last date your computer started properly and click ok .
a message box will come up click ok on that .
the computer should then reboot and work correctly ....hope this helps Daxian.

stephen-224025 16:33 14 Sep 03

Thanks Daxian, trying it now.Steve.

stephen-224025 16:40 14 Sep 03

Hey Daxian..no joy...........still getting "bad command or file name"
A prompt looks like A:\>
Is this right? Thought it should come up as A:Should the Win 98 CD be in the drive as start with CD support?

sil_ver 16:52 14 Sep 03

At the A:\> try typing sys c: (I think that's the right command) and this will restore your system file to C:

seedie 16:52 14 Sep 03

Have you been fiddling with you BIOS?

Hiya,suddenly on start up pc gets to line "boot from ATAPI CD Rom"

Can you look in your bios to find where abouts boot from CDROM is? ie 1st 2nd 3rd boot option

daxian 16:57 14 Sep 03

hi steve ..
the a prompt is correct ...
is the floppy a proper 98 se startup disk ?
the cd should not be needed ,all should be on the floppy ...

stephen-224025 17:45 14 Sep 03

Hey thanks all..not been fiddling with Bios...wouldn't know where to start....the floppy is a proper Win98 startup disk from my first clean install of 98SE....done sys c: and get system transfered message but A:\> still there???
Still cant access drives.......getting "Null" next to drive letter??
boy am I confused now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…