PC crash - missing file

standalone 15:30 02 Jun 04

My pc froze leaving me no option but to restart. When I do it offers me the option of starting in safe mode, which then tells me 'the following file is missing or corrupted:C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS'
'The following file is missing or corrupted:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.VXD
Type the name of the windows loader.

How do I locate these files - what do I do to restore the PC? Help in easy to understand steps appreciated.

spikeychris 15:37 02 Jun 04

What operating system?

AndySD 15:37 02 Jun 04

Windows 98 or ME?

alan227 15:46 02 Jun 04

This will tell you how to re-install it. click here

AndySD 15:54 02 Jun 04
  standalone 16:25 02 Jun 04

Operating system is ME with XP Home upgrade

Fruit Bat 16:49 02 Jun 04

when in safe mode with XP CD in CD Drive type sfc /scannow in the run box. This re-install in any missing windows files.

standalone 17:08 02 Jun 04

Fruit Bat - unfortumately it refuses to start in safe mode and I do not have a recue disc. Any suggestions - or am I going to have to reformat? Something I would like to avoid if poss.

AndySD 17:57 02 Jun 04

If you have the XP cd then try a Repair Installation

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

There is nothing to worry about as long as you follow these steps to repairing Windows XP it will leave all the rest of your files intact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…