PC crash issues please help

Lozi 16:41 05 Oct 07

Right... your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to diagnose my problem...

I've had my PC for 2 and a half years, bought as a package from PC World. I have since installed a spanky GPU and added 1Gig of ram to it.

All was dreamy until it started crashing. There is little pattern to it's crashing except to say the following...

a) When I turn it on, it is almost certain that it will crash within an hour, no matter what I am doing. By crash I mean complete screen freeze.

b) If I then reboot, it will not be able to detect the Hard Drive.

c) I have found that by moving one of my 3 RAM chips to a new position that b) can be circumvented.

d) The crashes seem to happen quicker if I am using a game that makes the most of my GPU's capability.

e) When my PC is "stable" I can leave it running day and night and it will be fine no matter what I use it for.

f) I have changed the PSU from a 350W to a 480W and given my heatsink a new coat of silver oxide paste but this hasn't cured my problem.

g) I have formatted the HDD twice which seemed to keep it happy for a few days before the original problem came back.

h) I tried switching my GPU with the one that came with the machine, but sadly, the old problems recurred.

All input is most welcomed.

brundle 16:45 05 Oct 07

Have you left a memory test running for a few hours?
click here

Have you used the machine with some of your external hardware disconnected. What GPU are you using at the moment - even 480w is borderline for some of the more powerful cards, especially if it doesn't produce high enough amperage on the 12v line.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:51 05 Oct 07

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Lozi 17:00 05 Oct 07

I am currently using an ATI Radeon X900Pro (it came with ATI Radeon X300SE)

I run Norton AntiVirus once a week with no probs and my spyware is up to date.

Diemmess 17:44 05 Oct 07

...... From only basic ideas - I think most likely one of the new items.

That new chip of memory?
It is 1 Gb making 2Gb in all?
(older ones 0.5 Gb) It just could be a mismatch, or a faulty new stick.

You say (c) made a partial improvement. Have you tried either the new one alone, or the new one out of the PC altogether?

Lozi 18:14 05 Oct 07

Hi Diemmess

This problem was happening before the new chip which is 1Gb.

Have tried just the new stick alone and the new one out also but the freezing still happens.

Just downloaded the memory test then pc froze.

Rebooted then it froze without loading the OS. Will have to leave for about 30 mins and try again, so annoying!!!!

Diemmess 18:29 05 Oct 07

Perhaps this is a software not a hardware problem.
There are lots of threads in this forum on the topic of freezing.

Most recommendations seem to move around looking for unecessary programs at startup, or more difficult - automatic updates and unresolved conflicts.

A change in video card may now have conflicting drivers or unwanted facilities pushing in.

Has to be worth a check, but I will keep out to encourage fresh help.

Lozi 22:11 05 Oct 07

any help please?

brundle 22:15 05 Oct 07

Any difference if you use/leave the machine running in Safe Mode? Get SpeedFan and keep an eye on your voltages and temperatures click here

Lozi 00:11 06 Oct 07

Have downloaded Speedfan, CPU temp hovers around the mid 60C's hard drive is stable at 42C,

voltages Vcore 1.23volt, +12v +12.65volts, 3.3v=3.14volts, Vcc=4.95volts, Vin2=0.00volts, 5Vsb=4.99volts, Vbat=0.00volts

These volt figures do change but not by much.

What should I be looking for?

Just frozen again!!!

josie mayhem 00:21 06 Oct 07

Any chance of using another hard drive?
Could be a hard driver problem playoing up..

Sometimes a failing hard drive can produce this effect...

Is your MOB, S.M.A.R.T enabled, this will picked up HDD probs before they happen if you lucky, but will detect a prop HDD..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now