PC crash and blinking cursor

ITBuffoon 12:36 08 Oct 06

OK, I was working merrily on my PC about a month ago, and my PC crashed with a blue screen of death. When I tried to reboot, all I get was a blinking cursor.

Since then this is happening more and more frequently.

I will work for a while, then the system freezes, and when I try to reboot, and I don't get past a blinking cursor. I tend to walk away, and try again a while later, when I do boot up successfully.

I've have the PC 5 years, but replaced the hard drive a couple of years - but I don't feel I've used the PC an excessive amount in the last couple of years.

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem could be?

FYI, I'm on Windows ME.

Many Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:48 08 Oct 06

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Jak_1 13:30 08 Oct 06

I had that problem with my old 1 GB Athlon machine. After replacing standard cpu fan with an industrial sized one the problem eased but was not cured. It turned out to be the psu not supplying enough power, a psu upgrade solved the problem.

ITBuffoon 14:01 10 Oct 06

I had forgotten about the fact I'd had a problem a few months ago

click here

and someone thought that was related to the fan.

Now I'm going to clean it, but just in case it's really had it, is it a simple job to replace the fan? They look very cheap, are all fans suitable for all PCs?

I'm no expert but I have replaced the hard drive in this PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:20 10 Oct 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…