Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4
my pc crashed for no explainable reason, i seem to have lost my email settings some programmes from my desktop ie real player etc . Also my documents , pictures etc. how can i retrieve these?, i have tried system restore but i do not have a previous restore point
it did not work but the problem is: i got the message with the title: user enviroment: windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you in with the temporary profile
1. Start the computer in Safe Mode, and then restart the computer.
a. After the Power On Self Test (POST) beep, keep tapping the F8 key.
b. On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
c. When you are prompted to select the operating system to start, select Windows XP <edition>, where <edition> is the edition of Windows XP that you have installed, and then press ENTER.
2. Log on as Administrator.
a. On the "To begin, click your user name" screen, click Administrator.
b. Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.
Note In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER.
3. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
4. Create a new user account. Windows makes a new directory for the account in the Documents and Settings folder.
5. Quit the User Accounts tool, and then restart the computer.
neither of those worked
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.
sfc /scannow problems
OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.