PC in continuous loop

hssutton 09:09 08 Oct 08

PC in continuous loop. PC will load to XP home edition then continually shut down and start up.

Keyboard and mouse do not function at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Have got to go out for a short while so will not be able to respond before 1pm.

Many thanks

Technotiger 09:13 08 Oct 08

Try going into Safe Mode - keep pressing F8 on start-up. Then try a System Restore back to before this started. Also make sure that printer etc is not switched on before starting pc. Another thing to try, remove all usb connected items before starting up, then if it starts ok, re-connect items one at a time.

Technotiger 09:14 08 Oct 08

PS - also make sure that all physical connections are ok, ie - nothing loose or not pushed in properly.

hssutton 09:25 08 Oct 08

Unable to do this as the keyboard and mouse will not respond. have checked all connections and also used two different keyboards and mice.

Picklefactory 09:28 08 Oct 08

May sound a bit of a dumb suggestion, but I've had a reset button get stuck in, on one of mine once, took me a while to notice it.
As Technotiger says, check connections. Sometimes tendency is to dive straight into complicated stuff when occassionally it's just something stupid.

Picklefactory 09:29 08 Oct 08

Must type faster.

Technotiger 09:32 08 Oct 08

Trickeeee - have you checked internal connections, and whether all PCI boards and cables are firmly seated. Also cleanliness state - thinking 'over-heating' perhaps.

Have you installed un-installed anything lately, especially hardware, which might have caused this hiccup?

ventanas 11:13 08 Oct 08

Will it start in safe mode?
If so you can try right clicking My Computer and choosing Properties\Advanced Tab\Startup and Recovery\settings and take the tick out of Automatically Restart under System Failure.
You may at least then get an error message which might give a clue.

Technotiger 12:01 08 Oct 08

I think you best read again - from the top ... LoL

gary2112 13:09 08 Oct 08

is the keybord and mouse usb ,or the old type ie purple and green plugs if they are usb you need to get your self a old keybord plug this in then press del at start up .keep doing this .the keybord will blink a green light if its working .if you get into the bios blue screen go to the devives section of the bios and change usb settings to legacy. then safe and reboot plug your mouse and keybord back in but do not unplug the keybord let windows install the drivers for the keybord and mouse reboot pc and see if you can use your mouse

hssutton 13:53 08 Oct 08

Have just got back home.

This is a friends computer, but do not yhink he's been inside or carried out and alteration. As far as I'm aware it was ok one and faulty the next.

Will open op the pc and check for loose connections etc.

The keyboard and mouse are the green and purple connection type.

Wiil report back this evening

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…