PC continually restarted, now won't start at all!

cyberphobic 14:29 23 Feb 04

My son's PC would restart itself every few minutes for no apparent reason, now it won't boot at all, no beeps, nothing. There are just lines on the monitor, the fan is working so there is power but I can't detect any life at all. System is PC Chips M810 mobo, Athlon 1400, with 256MB SDRAM running XP Pro. Can anyone offer me any suggestions please?

fredo3 14:31 23 Feb 04

cyber have u made any hardware changes before all this happened?

Jester2K 14:48 23 Feb 04

Does the CPU fan work?

cyberphobic 18:23 23 Feb 04

Thanks for your responses, no hardware changes had been made, and yes the CPU fan does spin.

cyberphobic 20:08 23 Feb 04

to the top

cyberphobic 21:58 23 Feb 04

1) Have changed the PSU - no improvement
2) Have changed the CPU - no improvement
3) Have changed the memory - no improvement

Should narrow it down a bit, any more suggestions please?

gudgulf 22:23 23 Feb 04

No beeps at all could indicate a dead motherboard--the bios would normally give you an indication of the problem with a
number of beeps.
Do you have onboard graphics or do you use a seperate graphics card(if so what?) as a graphics card failure could cause the same problem.

woodchip 22:29 23 Feb 04

Was the PSU a new one and was it bigger than the old

woodchip 22:30 23 Feb 04

The initial fault may have been the PSU and it's fried the MOBO

cyberphobic 22:38 23 Feb 04

PC Chips M810 mobo has on-board graphics
The replacement PSU was a 300W, same as the previous one. It's one I took out of another of my PCs, I know it worked OK but it had a strange intermittent fault (which I don't think is relevant here)Having replaced the components which I already have, I suppose the mobo is favourite. Would the continual restarting and then failure to start at all be consistent with this?

woodchip 22:41 23 Feb 04

It could if the PSU was not supplying the correct volts i.e. too many volts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…