PC continually reboots itself

Pharamyd 14:29 02 Mar 09

I have a six years old PC running Windows XP with SP3. Two days ago when I switched on, the PC booted to the login screen. I logged in and the wallpaper and desktop icons appeared. Then after 1 to 2 minutes it rebooted itself and it kept rebooting after 1 or 2 minutes if I try to open anything or do nothing. This has happened every time since then. I have not installed or uninstalled any programmes or made any changes at all recently.
In Safe Mode I have had a look at the Event Viewer in System Config Utility / Tools which shows under System the following errors: 3 x Service Control Manager, Events 7000, 7009 and 7026 and DCOM Event 1005. I am not particularly knowledgeable about computers and I have no idea what this means.
Can anyone help me to resolve this problem, please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:04 02 Mar 09

In Safe Mode

Start run - type
sfc /scannow

this will run the system file checker and re;ace any corrupt or missing windows files.

Pharamyd 15:41 02 Mar 09

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\
Thanks for your response.
When I tried to run sfc /scannow I in Safe Mode I get a very brief flash of a window which immediately disappears and then nothing happens. I was careful of the space after sfc but have tried it with no space as well.
Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

machins 16:10 02 Mar 09

I have had a similar problem on an Acer machine. This was eventually tracked down over the weekend to an AVG anti virus update. Are you running AVG. If so restore your computer to an earlier date and you should be OK

Pharamyd 16:16 02 Mar 09

Hi machins
No, I'm not running AVG. I am using ZoneAlarm free and Avast

Pharamyd 16:17 02 Mar 09

I should add that I have used the Windows Restore twice to try to sort it out but it makes no difference.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:42 02 Mar 09

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Switcher 16:55 02 Mar 09

Start in safe mode. Go to System Properties > advanced > start up and recovery > settings Then untick automatically restart uder system failure.
This should stop the rebooting and probably give you a BSOD which might help identify the problem.

Pharamyd 18:07 02 Mar 09

Fruit Bat /\0/\ and Switcher
Thanks for your suggestions. I've had a quick look at the link to sfc and it looks interesting.
I'll also try the BSOD option. Unfortunately I have to go out now but I'll try again tomorrow and get back to you to let you know how it goes.
Many thanks for now.

Pharamyd 12:08 03 Mar 09

As per the site Fruit Bat suggested I have copied the folder 1386 from my recovery CD to drive C and tried sfc /scannow again but, as before, I get a brief window which immediately disappears.
I have cleaned the registry with PCTools Reg cleaner and CCleaner.
I decided to try to repair Windows with the recovery CD but it asks for a password which I don’t have. As the PC is an old Evesham I cannot get this information.
I have stopped the automatic restart as suggested by Switcher and the BSOD mainly shows a fault 0x00000050 error but sometimes others. I have now started a full scan with Avast 4 to see if that shows anything. Also the PC now doesn’t reboot until about 4 minutes after login rather than the original 1 or 2 minutes.

Pharamyd 13:50 06 Mar 09

Sorry for delay I've been away.
I have tried everything I can think of to no effect so I am going to try to reinstall Windows and see if that sorts out the problem. If not I shall have to buy a new computer. Many thanks to Fruit Bat and Switcher for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now