PC Constantly Rebooting - any advice please

Highland Dancer 17:49 26 Jan 09

Hi

My home PC keeps on crashing/rebooting even although I've tried various solutions to try and solve it. The PC is ASRock K7S8X Motherboards running K7S8X BIOS P1.30 and has an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ @2083Mhz with 512/166MHz DDR. I'm using Windows XP SP3.

About 6 months ago my graphics card stopped working and I replaced it with an NVDIA GeForce 9200. I have installed, removed and re-installed the drivers as I got the Microsoft error report informing me that I had a blue screen error and to check the latest drivers. I've also had corrupted error reports and error reports for problems with anti-virus software.

I thought that the rebooting problem was related to me accessing sites on the internet but lately it's it worst it has ever been with the PC continually rebooting once XP had powered up. I couldn't do anything with the PC!

I have installed PC Tools Registry Mechanic which solved a number of registry problems and was using AVG with no problems but I've now installed PC Tools Internet Security (freebie from PC Advisor (Feb 2009), ran a full scan and fixed the folowing viruses; RogueAntiSpyware.Spyware_Stormer and Trojan.Qhosts.

I have noticed that the PC runs a lot slower now that these applications have been installed - is this usual?

I have installed and used Defraggler and Ccleanup. Also, I am unsure what programmes I should run at Startup, as there seems to be a lot listed but I do not know which to delete.

I am at a complete dead-end to decide what to do next so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

MAT ALAN 17:53 26 Jan 09

Sometimes the only way to go is to format and reinstall, that will give you a fairer test to whether your issue is software or hardware related...

woodchip 18:07 26 Jan 09

Start in Safe Mode and Run Disc Check before anything.

Double Click My Computer, Right Click on C:\Properties\Tools Disc repair tool tick the box for it to Fix errors Choose full Scan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017