PC closing down itself?

jamesy74 13:56 14 Mar 05

Problem with sisters PC.
She can boot it up ok and it runs ok, gets to the desktop etc. Afetr about 5 mins the PC just closes down by its self. The monitor just has the signal message thereafter and her base unit LED's just freeze up. This happens each time she restarts her base unit.The base unit doesn't shutdown completley and the fan keeps running also.

Thanks.

Yoda Knight 14:14 14 Mar 05

try a virus scan ?

yeah.. virus scan.. try an adware scan also. check the temps of the cpu.

jamesy74 14:15 14 Mar 05

Unfortunately the PC doesn't stay on long enough for that.

have u upgraded any components?

have u been playing around in the bios? try going into the bios...(by pressing delete when u turn the power on)and loading failsafe defaults

jamesy74 14:27 14 Mar 05

[email protected],

As I said its my sisters PC, have asked her if she has been messing about with it but she assures me no. She only uses it for the internet, nothing else. She has Windows ME installed, correct me if i'm wrong but instead of pressinf delete I press F2 to take me into the bios set up

When u mentioned failsafe, id that the same term for ME.

Thanks.

oh sorry.. thought it was xp! i dont know mutch about me(well its basicalley xp) there should be an option to load failsafe defaults or optamised defaults.

BH34 15:18 14 Mar 05

Do you have long enough to click START>RUN and type SHUTDOWN -A (press enter)? (Caps are for clarity, you can type in lower case.) If so, this should hopefully prevent the computer from restarting.

Then download Stinger from click here Disable system restore, reboot and use SHUTDOWN -A again, run Stinger, then re-enable system restore and reboot normally

Daz35 15:58 14 Mar 05

This appears to be the same problem as I'm having.

I don't want to hijack the thread but what has happened to me is click here

I have got Norton AV and use spybot, ad-aware and spywareblaster, so don't think in my case it would be a virus, as I clean and scan at least twice a week.

I'd be very interested to get to the bottom of this problem as PC service call can't seem to figure it out.

woodchip 16:07 14 Mar 05

You could try this, Keep pressing F8 as computer starts choose Prompt, Type SCANREG /RESTORE press enter then choose a date before the problem there should be five date to choose from. If that does not work it may be Hardware

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…