pc clock timekeeping

whitelight 16:56 08 Jan 05

My 5-year-old pc is no longer showing the right time, and when adjusting the clock it runs ok for a couple of hours then loses the time again ( few hours ahead in one jump). My pc is left on all the time. I have replaced the Lithium battery but still, after a couple of hours or so the pc loses the time again ( 3 hrs or so ahead, the minutes are ok). I am wondering if this is not a battery issue but a software one. I use Windows 98.

ICF 17:29 08 Jan 05

Change your motherboard battery.This keeps the cmos info.

Dorsai 17:34 08 Jan 05

Itaounds lite you have some form of 'internet time synhronization' on the PC.

It also sounds like your pc is set for the wrong time zone. I would double click on your clock on the task bar, and make sure the 'time zone' shown is correct for where you are.

whitelight 18:20 08 Jan 05

I have already tried 2 new bateries with same results. I have also checked the time zone ok.

Dorsai 19:17 08 Jan 05

Does it do it if the PC is not connected to the net?

If it does, I don't have a clue.

If it only does it when conencted, it must be somthing 'net' related. In this case I would suggest changing to another time zone, rebooting, and then reverting back to the right time zone, just in case windows is saying one time one, but actually using another.

Also, if you do have some net sycronisateion software, i would make sure it is set up right, or even turn it off, to see if that helps.

Does not sound like a battery problem though, as the battery is normally only used when the PC is turned off. If the problem happens with the PC on, i suspect a software issue of some sort.

jakimo 21:45 08 Jan 05

Try Tech-pro atomic clock sync,you've nothing to loose

click here

whitelight 00:50 09 Jan 05

thanks Dorsai & Jakimo I shall try what u suggested. Cheers

johnnyrocker 00:54 09 Jan 05

and did it work?

whitelight 15:19 09 Jan 05

left PC ON overnight but OFF line and the clock kept the time. This morning I connected onto the net and after few hours, the clock was 3 hours ahead as happened before. I shall change to another time zone, reboot, connect onto the net and revert back to correct time zone.

whitelight 09:16 12 Jan 05

I know it's not scientific, but because the clock would always be 3hrs ahead when it goes wrong, I have selected a time zone with +3hrs GMT and for two days now all is well. Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…