PC clock keeps going haywire.

The Kestrel 09:49 AM 24 Sep 12

Three times recently the clock on my PC has overnight reset to a time in the year 2003. This is only discovered when I boot up and find several programs will not work until the time is reset correctly. There has been a gap of two or three weeks between each of these incidents. I always shut down my PC at night but leave it on standby, so it has power available 24/7. Can anyone suggest what is causing this problem and how to rectify it please?

Nontek 09:50 AM 24 Sep 12

Probably needs a new CMOS battery.

Nontek 09:52 AM 24 Sep 12
  woodchip 09:58 AM 24 Sep 12

If its not the Battery, or it could be Battery Contacts need cleaning. It will other than the above be Faulty BIOS or Motherboard

woodchip 09:59 AM 24 Sep 12

PS Windows takes its time from the BIOS Clock. It can be reset from within windows Control Panel

BT 11:47 AM 24 Sep 12

Almost certainly needs a new battery on the motherboard, they don't last forever. I've just replaced mine after the clock kept resetting to 2008. Its simple to do, see Nontec's link above.

The Kestrel 12:02 PM 24 Sep 12

Thanks everyone for your input. I will go ahead, using Nontek's link and change the CMOS battery and see if that solves the problem.

wee eddie 22:40 PM 24 Sep 12

To clean the Contacts: Rub them with a blunt pencil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The 14 most useless gadgets of all time: nauseating, crappy and downright silly technology, from a…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November