PC Clock Going Haywire

shadowseer 12:39 20 Oct 03

Can anyone throw some light on my problem?

Up until approx a month ago the clock in my PC was working ok. I now find that I am losing about 15 mins per 2-3 days, I have downloaded and installed a program that accesses an atomic clock, it finds the correct time, changes the time on my PC for about half a second and then it reverts to the time it was before I used the program.

The only way I can set the correct time is to go into the bios and do it from there, it then lasts for 2-3 days and I have to do it again.

I thought it might be the battery on the Motherboard but then my PC is only just over 12 months old, I hardly think it could be that. I was also wondering if it could be a program that's been installed and had an effect on the clock! If anyone has had this kind of problem could you please advise on what I should try or look for.

PC details are:-
eMachines 960
Intel Pentium IV 2.0GHz
SiS650 Chipset
Award Modular Bios v6.00PG
768Mb Ram
Win XP Home Ed with SP1

Many thanks in advance people.

Simsy 12:50 20 Oct 03

you r PC is "only just over 12 months old" I would still suspect the mobo battery until it's proved otherwise. It might be a grimy connection on the battery, so you could just remove and clean it first... if that doesn't work relace it. They're only a couple of quid.

Good luck

Regards,

Simsy

Stuartli 13:02 20 Oct 03

It would be unusual for the battery to have packed up in such a short time - I've never needed to replace one over a period of many years.

Have you checked the Regional Settings and the Time Zone configuration which could have inadvertently been changed?

shadowseer 13:13 20 Oct 03

I have already taken the battery out and given it a good clean.

I just tried to alter the time by double clicking on it, it was showing 13:20 when in fact the correct time was 13:07. As I changed it to the correct time and clicked on apply, it did change to the right time and then about a second later it went back to the time before I started.

Regional Settings and the Time Zone are correct, I'm at a loss, I've run out of ideas. lol

AubreyS 13:18 20 Oct 03

Have you tried setting the clock to automatically synchronize with an internet time server?

shadowseer 13:21 20 Oct 03

Yes it's set to automatically synchronize with an internet time server.

AubreyS 13:25 20 Oct 03

Great! If that fails to keep the correct time from now on click here

graham√ 13:26 20 Oct 03

Try it with the sync. turned off. Maybe a firewall is corrupting it.

click here

That may not work!

Also check the date is correct.

shadowseer 13:59 20 Oct 03

Just downloaded and installed the above prog, it still does the same thing, changes the time to the correct time for about 1 second and then reverts back to the incorrect time that I started with.

Yet if I change it from the bios, as I have said, it will last for a further 2-3 days and it's out by minus 15 mins approx.

keith-236785 14:50 20 Oct 03

do a check for virus's and trojans, just to make sure you havent been infected.

Stuartli 16:15 20 Oct 03

There is an Internet Time Check facility on XP if you haven't tried it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…