PC Clock Going Haywire

shadowseer 12:39 20 Oct 03

Can anyone throw some light on my problem?

Up until approx a month ago the clock in my PC was working ok. I now find that I am losing about 15 mins per 2-3 days, I have downloaded and installed a program that accesses an atomic clock, it finds the correct time, changes the time on my PC for about half a second and then it reverts to the time it was before I used the program.

The only way I can set the correct time is to go into the bios and do it from there, it then lasts for 2-3 days and I have to do it again.

I thought it might be the battery on the Motherboard but then my PC is only just over 12 months old, I hardly think it could be that. I was also wondering if it could be a program that's been installed and had an effect on the clock! If anyone has had this kind of problem could you please advise on what I should try or look for.

PC details are:-
eMachines 960
Intel Pentium IV 2.0GHz
SiS650 Chipset
Award Modular Bios v6.00PG
768Mb Ram
Win XP Home Ed with SP1

Many thanks in advance people.

Simsy 12:50 20 Oct 03

you r PC is "only just over 12 months old" I would still suspect the mobo battery until it's proved otherwise. It might be a grimy connection on the battery, so you could just remove and clean it first... if that doesn't work relace it. They're only a couple of quid.

Good luck

Regards,

Simsy

Stuartli 13:02 20 Oct 03

It would be unusual for the battery to have packed up in such a short time - I've never needed to replace one over a period of many years.

Have you checked the Regional Settings and the Time Zone configuration which could have inadvertently been changed?

shadowseer 13:13 20 Oct 03

I have already taken the battery out and given it a good clean.

I just tried to alter the time by double clicking on it, it was showing 13:20 when in fact the correct time was 13:07. As I changed it to the correct time and clicked on apply, it did change to the right time and then about a second later it went back to the time before I started.

Regional Settings and the Time Zone are correct, I'm at a loss, I've run out of ideas. lol

AubreyS 13:18 20 Oct 03

Have you tried setting the clock to automatically synchronize with an internet time server?

shadowseer 13:21 20 Oct 03

Yes it's set to automatically synchronize with an internet time server.

AubreyS 13:25 20 Oct 03

Great! If that fails to keep the correct time from now on click here

graham√ 13:26 20 Oct 03

Try it with the sync. turned off. Maybe a firewall is corrupting it.

click here

That may not work!

Also check the date is correct.

shadowseer 13:59 20 Oct 03

Just downloaded and installed the above prog, it still does the same thing, changes the time to the correct time for about 1 second and then reverts back to the incorrect time that I started with.

Yet if I change it from the bios, as I have said, it will last for a further 2-3 days and it's out by minus 15 mins approx.

keith-236785 14:50 20 Oct 03

do a check for virus's and trojans, just to make sure you havent been infected.

Stuartli 16:15 20 Oct 03

There is an Internet Time Check facility on XP if you haven't tried it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…