PC Clock

Rob Gibson 20:19 07 Dec 05

My PC's taskbar clock sometimes runs very fast. If I sync with the Windows time server, an hour later it can be half an hour fast. At other times it behaves itself for weeks. What's going on?

Rob.

woodchip 20:21 07 Dec 05

Try running without link

VoG II 20:23 07 Dec 05

I don't know but you can automatically sync with Windows time server as frequently as hourly click here

Rob Gibson 20:23 07 Dec 05

You've got me there... "link"?

woodchip 20:29 07 Dec 05

When you sync I thought it kept regular checks. I Have three comps and never used the feature

Rob Gibson 20:41 07 Dec 05

Hello again,

My clock is set to sync every seven days. The odd thing is that it will run fine for weeks, and then start running fast by up to half an hour or more. Later, it'll be back on time.

All this is out of the blue. No new s/w or changes.

I'll check out VoG's suggestion, thanks.

Rob.

Kev.Ifty 21:39 07 Dec 05

'Time' for a new battery on the motherboard perhaps?

Kev.

Stuartli 21:46 07 Dec 05

If it was the battery the clock would start to run slowly.

I've never had to replace a motherboard battery in the nine years since I first acquired a home system - that includes an Elite motherboard that was used for just under seven years. The battery was still in full working order when I replaced the mobo in June.

Kev.Ifty 22:05 07 Dec 05

I agree.. but, last Friday i reset the date and time on a clients machine. Only to be called back on Monday middayish to find it saying 15:02 20/24/z[

Changed the battery (with my fingers crossed) ain't been back yet...

The machine is always connected to the mains and never switched off. '?'

I'm just making a suggestion. You never know :-)

Kev.

DieSse 22:15 07 Dec 05

The motherboard battery only runs the clock when the system is powered down. When the system is running, Windows itself runs the clock. So if the clock is gaining time under somecircumstances, it's a software problem you are looking for. Useful FAQs about time in the PC click here

If you have a seriuos time gain, then look for somthing you are running around the time f the tie gain. Suspect Java, power standby periods - but look for anything.

Fingees 22:27 07 Dec 05

The clock can run fast if battery is low, as the crystal becomes unstable.

It also happens on some household clocks.

If you've had the battery for 5 years it is likely to die even if it was hardly used.

All the best

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…