PC-cillin 2003 and Zone Alarm

Brian2 14:34 16 Oct 03

I have just installed the anti-virus program called PC - cillin 2003 by Trend Micro. I would now loke to install Zone Alarm but before I do I would like to know whether they do the same job or not. Are they compatible and can they run safely together? TIA

johnnyrocker 14:39 16 Oct 03

i would think they will i have za pro and avg av pc cillin is antivirus protection whereas zone alarm is a firewall intruder attempt warning system, takes a bit of configuring at first with all the alerts etc but when 'trained' is very efficient.

cheers.

johnny.

Bruce_Lee 14:52 16 Oct 03

I have experienced problems with running Pc Cillin 2003 with Zone Alarm (Free version) on Windows XP. The system would freeze at random. The problem stopped when I installed the firewall from Trend Micro instead.

The only way you will know if they are compatible on your machine is to install Zone Alarm alongside PC Cillin and see if you experience any compatibility issues.

Bruce_Lee 14:55 16 Oct 03

You can get AVG antivirus which is a free program with regular updates if you click here

Confab 15:27 16 Oct 03

Run both on my Pc and never had a problem

handful 17:11 16 Oct 03

I had bad freezing problem with PcCillin. Stopped immediately with AVG. Follow Bruce_Lee's link

Brian2 05:59 17 Oct 03

Thanks all. As PC-cillin cost me £15 I want to keep it! I will do as Bruce-Lee suggests and get a compatible firewall from Trend. Bruce- do you know the name of the Trend firewll and cost?

Terrahawk 06:07 17 Oct 03

have you tried any other of the free firewalls sygate kerio and outpost may be worth trying one of these before shelling out on one click here
click here
click here

Bruce_Lee 08:52 17 Oct 03

If you purchased Pc Cillin 2003 it should come with a built in firewall program so you don't need to make another purchase. This is taken from the Trend site:

PC-cillin 2003

Key Features

Comprehensive Antivirus Protection

Integrated PDA Protection

Personal Firewall Defence Against Hackers

Proactive Virus Outbreak Notification

Secure Wireless Internet Access

Personal Firewall Defence Against Hackers

The integrated firewall has been enhanced to provide precise, thorough checking of Internet traffic to secure your computer from unauthorized intrusion, hacker attacks, and information theft.

Try looking on the cd for the firewall.

HTH

User-312386 08:59 17 Oct 03

I have no problems whatsoever with PC-CILLIN 2003, although i do not use its firewall as it only stops incoming attacks, exactly the same as XP's firewall.

I have sygate firewall click here which is a lot easier to use.

Ensure that that the PC-CILLIN firewall is NOT installed and ensure that the XP firewall is turned off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…