PC Choice, I simply don't know which

FatboySlim71 10:30 27 Jan 08

I currently have an Evesham PC, but I am thinking of upgrading to one of the below PC's, I will first provide the specs below to my current PC,

My current PC:
Intel Pentium D Processor 950 Dual Core (3.4ghz 2x2mb cache, 800mhz)
2GB DDR2 RAM 533mhz
400GB SATA 7200rpm hard drive 16mb buffer
256mb DDR ATI Radeon X850 Pro PCI-Express graphic card
7.1 channel on board sound

Based on the specs of the 3 choices below of the new machines, and compairing my present machine specs, would they be a great deal of speed difference between getting one of new machines.

First Option from MESH:
Elite Power Quad System

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Quad Core Processor(2.66GHz,8MB Cache,1066MHz)

Genuine Windows Vista™ Ultimate Edition

Aluminium ATX Midi Tower + 550W PSU

PCI-Express Mainboard-SLI nForce 680i SLI(C55XE)-Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core-ATX

4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory ( 2x 2GB )

750GB Serial ATA2 Hard Disk with 32MB Buffer

LightScribe Super Format 20x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM

256MB nVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT - DVI, HDTV, TV-Out

5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound

Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial

Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)

6x USB 2.0 Ports (8x possible on motherboard)

2x IEEE1394 Firewire (onboard)

1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)

Multi-format Memory Card Reader (matx)

Gold - 2 Years On Site Service - UK Mainland Only (Repairline Ltd Warranty)

Total price £1364.45

Second Option from MESH:

Elite Power Quad System Base:

Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6850 Quad Core Processor(3.0GHz,8MB Cache,1333MHz)

Genuine Windows Vista™ Ultimate Edition

Aluminium ATX Midi Tower + 550W PSU

PCI-Express Mainboard-SLI nForce 680i SLI(C55XE)-Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core-ATX

4GB DDR2 667MHz Memory -( 4x 1GB )

750GB Serial ATA2 Hard Disk with 32MB Buffer

256MB nVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT - DVI, HDTV, TV-Out

5.1 High Definition onboard sound card - 6 Channel Cinema sound

Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + 60 Days Microsoft Office Trial

Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)

6x USB 2.0 Ports (8x possible on motherboard)

2x IEEE1394 Firewire (onboard)

1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)

Multi-format Memory Card Reader (matx)

Gold - 2 Years On Site Service - UK Mainland Only (Repairline Ltd Warranty)

Total Price £ 1693.45

Ill continue on another post as its too long to post.

johnnyrocker 10:37 27 Jan 08

post a search for mesh for feedback.

johnny.

Forum Editor 11:10 27 Jan 08

to post two threads on the same subject - they'll rapidly become separated, and will be meaningless. I've posted a similar response in your second thread click here

Jim_F 11:49 27 Jan 08

Looking here: click here the graphics card looks like a downgrade. I would have thought an 8600 or 8800 would be a better match for the system overall.

If you want a big name the Dell XPS720 with the quad core/800 Mhz options looks better with a decent size case. I'm not sure about putting 4 cores and a modern GFX card in a mini tower unless there is really effective cooling.

My doubts about Dell are that the mobos are'nt always the latest and cooling has sometimes been a little suspect.

FatboySlim71 21:05 27 Jan 08

Thanks for the replies guys, I only posted two posts on the same subject because to leave it whole took it over the maximum letter/word limit for posts.

I thought the 8500 GT would have been a decent choice as it would give me the option of been able to use a VGA or DVI connection, whereas the 8600 and above only have DVI connections, on saying that though the monitor I would get would probably have a DVI connector on. I just thought it would have give me more options as to what monitors I could choose from.

Thanks johnnyrocker, I had done that and I had also done the same with Dell, on the whole though they seemed to be more complaints regarding MESH than there was about DELL, but the trouble is you tend to get to hear more about the bad experiences than you do about the good. I just cannot decide between Dell or MESH.

Thanks Jim_F, I did have a quick look at the XPS 720, I'll go and have another look at it again.

Thanks again.

FatboySlim71 21:11 27 Jan 08

Regarding my first question regarding:

Based on the specs of the new machines, and comparing my present machine specs, would they be a great deal of speed/performance difference between getting one of new machines?

FatboySlim71 23:37 27 Jan 08

bump

FatboySlim71 08:17 28 Jan 08

bump

Jim_F 10:06 28 Jan 08

'I thought the 8500 GT would have been a decent choice as it would give me the option of been able to use a VGA or DVI connection' - my 8800 GTS shipped with a DVI>VGA adapter, I thought most did.

The question on speed and performance is difficult to answer without being more specific on use - from benchmarks I have seen for gaming the platform (mobo and processor) could be expected to show 30-50% improvement, for AC/rendering this would be more like a 100%.

However the GFX card and single hard disk would limit this in terms of graphics performance and disl I/O respectively so it may not 'feel' as fast in ways that are importatnt to you.

Jim_F 10:08 28 Jan 08

'' should have read 'AV/rendering' :)

FatboySlim71 10:16 28 Jan 08

Thanks all for the help.

Jim_f,

My uses vary, photo editing, a lot of Win rar use archiving/extracting large files/folders. Video encoding.

"my 8800 GTS shipped with a DVI>VGA adapter, I thought most did."

I wasn't aware of this, thanks for clearing that up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…