PC Chips M810LMR Bios update. How?

wossie 14:26 15 Oct 03

I have a Duron 1600MHz in a PC Chips M810LMR MoBo and the CPU freq is set to 133 but it hangs, I'm told to update the bios. When I click on the unzipped file it states "open with". What is the procedure for updating the BIOS on this MoBo. Thanks, Wossie.

tbh72 14:35 15 Oct 03

I'm going in search of the information I used to update the bios, I will also see if I can locate the correct bios file for you. Aida32 click here will give you the motherboard serial number / bios number you need to find the correct file.

**Can I also just add, that updating the bios can cause your motherboard to fail & SHOULD NOT be undertaken unless 1. It's absolutely necessary 2. You are confident you can carry out the task 3. You are certain that you will not suffer a power loss during the process (3 minutes or so).**

Regards
T

PS - Bios's can and are updated by computer shops, this is a safer option for those less confident with the method as it offers 100% gauruntees.

wossie 15:48 15 Oct 03

Thanks for the response, When I download the bios do I put it on a floppy or load it from the desktop or do I have to direct it to the file. Thanks again, Wossie.

dth 16:14 15 Oct 03

Yes - you copy the BIOS update onto a floppy disc. Do be careful and read through the instructions before you try the update - as it is possible to damage your p/c if anything goes wrong with the update.

As a minimum make sure that you have a backup of all your data before proceeding.

The advice from thb72 is very valid - if you are unsure in any way it is best to ask a p/c shop to carry out the update for you.

Mr Tinkles II 18:29 15 Oct 03

whil they say it can be done, i tried it with the exact same board u mention. it all appeared to go through ok. but wen it came to reboot the board was dead. after some investigating i discovered that pc chips boards are notorious for dieing when bios is updated. everyone i spoke to said its not worth the hassle when u can get a good athlon board for 60 quid nowadays. hope this helps

wossie 19:18 15 Oct 03

Thanks to all, I'll leave it at 100FSB and put up with the 1200MHz reduced speed. Or get a 1300 Duron as they are 200 FSB, and put the 1600 Duron in to a 266 FSB board. Thanks again, Wossie.

tbh72 01:44 16 Oct 03

I'm sorry I didn't / couldn't get back to you with the answers!!! I see you have opted to make a wise decision. You might like to TICK this as resolved now.

PS - I would still recommend a bios upgrade to those people whom have desided to replace their motherboard and have the funds to do so. You are then in a position of having nothing to loose but a lot to learn & potentially saving a few pounds on the purchase of a new mobo. So, if you ever deside to replace your motherboard for one which supports your processor, post back and we can try out the BIOS flash!!!

wossie 12:00 16 Oct 03

Hi again, i would like to try the bios update as I have done it to my MSI KT3 Ultra 2 to get it to recognise an AMD XP2800 instead of XP2200. So if you could let me know how to update it I would be "externally" grateful. The bios I downloaded has no "face" as in winzip, word, etc. so what do I open it with. There are a few bios versions available. I'll have to check the version I have. So please let me know the procedure. Thanks again, Wossie.

dth 12:32 16 Oct 03

There is a difference here - MSI offer very straight forward BIOS updates that are easy to do. PC Chips don't!

Majin_Vegetto007 19:43 11 Feb 05

I have the same board as you and I am using a 1.8ghz Duron, and it hardly ever crashes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…