PC Chips M810LMR Bios update. How?

wossie 14:26 15 Oct 03

I have a Duron 1600MHz in a PC Chips M810LMR MoBo and the CPU freq is set to 133 but it hangs, I'm told to update the bios. When I click on the unzipped file it states "open with". What is the procedure for updating the BIOS on this MoBo. Thanks, Wossie.

tbh72 14:35 15 Oct 03

I'm going in search of the information I used to update the bios, I will also see if I can locate the correct bios file for you. Aida32 click here will give you the motherboard serial number / bios number you need to find the correct file.

**Can I also just add, that updating the bios can cause your motherboard to fail & SHOULD NOT be undertaken unless 1. It's absolutely necessary 2. You are confident you can carry out the task 3. You are certain that you will not suffer a power loss during the process (3 minutes or so).**

Regards
T

PS - Bios's can and are updated by computer shops, this is a safer option for those less confident with the method as it offers 100% gauruntees.

wossie 15:48 15 Oct 03

Thanks for the response, When I download the bios do I put it on a floppy or load it from the desktop or do I have to direct it to the file. Thanks again, Wossie.

dth 16:14 15 Oct 03

Yes - you copy the BIOS update onto a floppy disc. Do be careful and read through the instructions before you try the update - as it is possible to damage your p/c if anything goes wrong with the update.

As a minimum make sure that you have a backup of all your data before proceeding.

The advice from thb72 is very valid - if you are unsure in any way it is best to ask a p/c shop to carry out the update for you.

Mr Tinkles II 18:29 15 Oct 03

whil they say it can be done, i tried it with the exact same board u mention. it all appeared to go through ok. but wen it came to reboot the board was dead. after some investigating i discovered that pc chips boards are notorious for dieing when bios is updated. everyone i spoke to said its not worth the hassle when u can get a good athlon board for 60 quid nowadays. hope this helps

wossie 19:18 15 Oct 03

Thanks to all, I'll leave it at 100FSB and put up with the 1200MHz reduced speed. Or get a 1300 Duron as they are 200 FSB, and put the 1600 Duron in to a 266 FSB board. Thanks again, Wossie.

tbh72 01:44 16 Oct 03

I'm sorry I didn't / couldn't get back to you with the answers!!! I see you have opted to make a wise decision. You might like to TICK this as resolved now.

PS - I would still recommend a bios upgrade to those people whom have desided to replace their motherboard and have the funds to do so. You are then in a position of having nothing to loose but a lot to learn & potentially saving a few pounds on the purchase of a new mobo. So, if you ever deside to replace your motherboard for one which supports your processor, post back and we can try out the BIOS flash!!!

wossie 12:00 16 Oct 03

Hi again, i would like to try the bios update as I have done it to my MSI KT3 Ultra 2 to get it to recognise an AMD XP2800 instead of XP2200. So if you could let me know how to update it I would be "externally" grateful. The bios I downloaded has no "face" as in winzip, word, etc. so what do I open it with. There are a few bios versions available. I'll have to check the version I have. So please let me know the procedure. Thanks again, Wossie.

dth 12:32 16 Oct 03

There is a difference here - MSI offer very straight forward BIOS updates that are easy to do. PC Chips don't!

Majin_Vegetto007 19:43 11 Feb 05

I have the same board as you and I am using a 1.8ghz Duron, and it hardly ever crashes

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch