pc ceeps rebooting

mikecav 21:12 09 Sep 04

My pc ceeps rebooting by itself randomly.It also hangs quite often and has to be reset with the reset button alt cont del does nothing.Ihave removed all cards exept the video card and also tried a dif hard drive and a clean instal of win 2000 pro.Firewall and Norton anti varus installed.I'm thinking my p/supply is at fault any ideas? Mike

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:28 09 Sep 04

Could be heat related can you monitor temp of cpu / case?.

Other causes are full hard drive (no room for swap file), swapfile (virtual memory set too low), bad sectors on hard drive, faulty device drivers, spyware using all resources.

Hard drive full? you have done a clean install so maybe not that. Clear out all temporary files and internet cache anyway. Temporary File Cleaners:-
Crap Cleaner click here
Empty temp folders click here

Virtual memory increase if possible.

Bad sectors check harddrive. Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here
WD Data lifeguard click here

Sounds like youv'e already re installed drivers.

Spyware? Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here

Totally-braindead 22:15 09 Sep 04

Good advice from Fruit Bat, only other thing I can add is make sure you're using the correct driver for your graphics card and make sure its installed properly(disable your antivirus before you install it) as this can cause your PC to restart too. Since you reinstalled your OS I'd be inclined to check the temps first then delete/reinstall graphics drivers then if that didn't work I'd look at the power supply, try running it with only the hard drive installed and see what happens.

Dan the Confused 22:48 09 Sep 04

Give everything a good clean too, esp the fans.

madPentium 23:10 09 Sep 04

It can be so many things. I had a pc 3 days ago with a maxtor hard drive. It was doing the same thing. If i put the drive into any other pc, that would also do the same when it eventually booted. It was totally virus free too and passed all hard drive cheking tools. Wierd but true.

c_norris1989 09:49 10 Sep 04

You may be running too many programs in the background. Use MSconfig. Happened to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…