Pc causing Hi fi to overheat?

  shauntaylor 09:15 27 Jul 08
Locked

Hi, I have next to no knowledge when it comes to most audio areas and I think i've developed a problem with my pc. I've got it hooked up to a Hi fi using a lead that runs from the head phones socket on the back to the red and white sockets on the Hi fi.

I was very happy with this set up as it gave me very nice sound output. However, I have noticed an overheating type smell a few times when using my pc and was beginning to get worried when I started packing to move house. When packing the Hi fi I noticed the same smell was coming quite strongly from inside the Hi fi, what I'd like to know is does anyone have any information on this type of problem?

I've used my 360 and the Hi fi fine and i've used it as it is intended fine too so i'm guessing the problem is using it with the pc? The lead I purchased did specify that this was its intended use so i'm a little confused.

  €dstowe 09:27 27 Jul 08

The power going through these cables is very low and should not in itself cause any overheating - after all it is only a signal to be amplified by another piece of equipment.

One thing I would be concerned about is why you are using the headphone output to the input on the Hi Fi. The correct wire up should be line out (1 volt) to the input - both fairly high impedance. Headphone outputs are low impedance to be able supply sufficient power (even so, it is very low power).

Having said all that, I think you should have it checked out. I remember when I was a student a friend had a very expensive audio system with live mains (240 volt) on the line out wires. It was current limited but it did give a bit of a surprise if it was touched.

  Gongoozler 09:29 27 Jul 08

I can't think of anything that is likely to cause the amplifier to overheat that wouldn't also cause distortion of the audio. It is just possible that high frequency signal components from the digital processing of the audio in the pc is causing the amplifier to overload at inaudible frequencies, but this is highly unlikely, and in any case would probably distort the sound. A low pass audio filter would prevent this happening, but I don't know where you would buy one, and building a filter, while not technically difficult, would probably be beyond what you would like to tackle. If the hi-fi unit is fairly new, then hot smells could well be normal evaporation of solvents from plastics, and should diminish after a few weeks use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…