PC Case woes

Hrosir 15:58 21 Apr 04

Having collected all the components for my new hand built pc, I started to assemble the gubbins inside, starting with the intravenous wiring!. Nightmare, as there are millions of them with cryptic labels that vanish onto the correct socket on the motherboard.I purchased a case from Jeantech which I liked the look of and tried to make sense of the psuedo Chinese English
instructions. Not much help!As a first time constructor this has taken the sense of achievement away a little and I am now stuck as to how to proceed. I have an Asus A7N8X DE LUXE motherboard with an Athlon 2.8 using a Radeon 9800 pro card. Any advice as to connecting up would be appreciated

xania 16:18 21 Apr 04

The wiring provides you with connetions to switch on the PC, to reset it, to connect to the speaker, and to connect to the LEDs on the box. There may also be a se of 9 wires to connect you front panel USB to the mobo. You need to know which is which, and this is NORMALLY printed on the little plugs at the end of those wires. If this is not the case, you will have colour coded wires, and your case manual will show you what each of these are. You may also be able to see physically what the wires are connected to.

Now, I will need to know what sort of information you have before I can advise you how to connect the wires to the mobo - without this, you can't proceed. Most importantly, if you don't know how to connect your main switch to the mobo, you won't be able to switch on your computer.

I have taken a look at the Jeantech web site and it looks quite detailed - they certianly have a nice range of cases. Which one did you buy?

NGE 16:20 21 Apr 04

might also have wires that link to front audio and mic ports. Your manual for motherboard should have this information.

ThePharcyde007 16:29 21 Apr 04

What jeantech case you got?

I have one which has the door on the front and the temperature red LED.

Regarding installation, if you have the same case as mine it is without a motherboard tray so steps are.

1) Screw in the motherboard anchoring points into the case so it matches with your motherboard screw points.

2) Upto you how you do it, but I would now insert the DDR memory with the motherboard out of the case by pulling the clips down and correctly inserting the RAM so the cut out groove on your ram lines up with the DDR Ram Slot.

3) As above insert the processor into the slot making sure that the PINS are CORRECTLY positioned on the socket so you don't bend any!

4) Now put the motherboard in the case and screw securely to the case to the point 1 anchor points.

5) Now insert the graphics card in the AGP slot pulling the white clip down so it inserts straight in.

6) The wiring is simple the long thin white connector from your PSU fits into the long thin motherboard slot theirs only one way of fitting this so you cant go wrong.

7) Refer to your motherboard manual to connect the power lead HDD light reset switch etc to your motherboard from the supplied wires inside your case.

8) Also for the additional case USB these also connect to the motherboard which you also need to refer to your motherboard manual ENSURE THIS IS CORRECT BECAUSE ITS EASY TO WIRE THIS WRONG WHICH COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO YOUR MOTHERBOARD!!!

9) Connect the remaining molex connectors to your harddrive(s)2 max, cd-rom(s)2 max and process to connect these to the motherboard with the IDE cables.

10) If you have followed the above steps she should boot no probs timing is everything and you cant go wrong. I built my own last year which has since been upgrading and I had no probs at all.

11) My jeantech case has audio connectors on the front also with a audio lead with a headphone connection on it I basically wired this though the case and took out a PCI blanking plate and plug it into the sound AUX at the back to enable the front connectors

Good luck

Gongoozler 16:42 22 Apr 04

To get your computer started, the only case cables you need to worry about are the ATX power cable (you can't get that one wrong as ThePharcyde007 explained. It's the big one) and on some motherboards, and all P4 ones, there's also a smaller square power connector. Then there's the speaker cable (usually 4-way and labeled "SPEAKER"), and the power switch cable, also usually clearly labeled. The others aren't needed to get started, so leave them off for the first run, they are the LED connectors, the reset switch and fron panel sockets. Get your confidence with the essentials first, then the others won't be as daunting. For first boot-up, I also leave the drive connectors off.

Hrosir 19:44 23 Apr 04

My case model is a Jeantech JN099 and after consulting the web site I have managed to narrow down the number of connectors. I have the option to connect the case fans to the front case panel thus monotoring the internal temperature and CPU fan. Should I stick to the motherboard monitoring system? or connect these to the front of the case. My biggest fear at the moment is turning the pc on and the chip going into overheated melt down.I have installed the Radeon 9800 pro card and connected up the external power supply. Will I have the raw courage to switch it on, afraid of the black screen of death. The only wires I seem to lack info about are the front audio connectors but if it comes to it I need not use them and the same goes for the front USB connectors. Thanks to everyone who has helped with my lack of knowledge.

Gongoozler 20:14 23 Apr 04

Hi Hrosir, if you're not sure about them, then don't connect them. As I said before, for the initial switch-on keep things as simple as possible. Your first task is to prove the motherboard - processor - power supply - graphics card combination. If you avoid unnecessary complication you can concentrate on the basics. Once you are confident with them, you can add the other factors like the drives and operating system. Then is the time for the fiddly bits. If you have everything connected at the start and the computer doesn't start properly you don't know where to look for the problem.

Totally-braindead 20:19 23 Apr 04

Follow Gongoozlers advice its easier this way. If something goes wrong you'll get in a right tizzy with all those wires, just connect what he says, if alls well then you carry on, if not you've not got far to go to see what the problem is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…