PC can't play games very well

3.06Ghz 21:01 03 Jan 06

I used to beable to play most of my fairly recent games on maximum settings at 1024x768,with a radeon 9700pro. I have now got a radeon x800xt platinum edition with a new monitor which displays at 1280x1024. Now it doesnt play the same games (kotor, battlefield/front etc) smoothly at all unless everything is on really low... The rest of the pc is a 3.06 Pentium 4 with 1024mb ram. Any ideas what is causing this slow down, could it be a driver issue?

researcher 23:13 03 Jan 06

Have you tried teh game on the old Monitor? Maybe it's a refresh rate problem?

Check for the latest Radeon drivers.

It is possible that your M'board may need its BIOS updating as well to properly support the new card. Check on the M'board website to see what cards it supports.

Totally-braindead 23:19 03 Jan 06

If you look here click here you can see its a really good card, to give you an idea of how good as compared with the old one I would imagaine if your old card was in the chart it would be down near the bottom. The first thing I would check is for the latest driver and ensure it is installed properly, I presume this card is PCI Express and not AGP. I am wondering if it could be a power issue in that its not getting enough current, do you know what size of power supply tou have and can you confirm whether its AGP or PCIE?

Totally-braindead 23:20 03 Jan 06

Sorry my spelling is getting terrible must be tired.

flyingbrit 23:35 03 Jan 06

Knock the resolution down to 1024x768 it won't effect the graphics so as you'd notice. However you system should play them on 1280x1024 so there is a problem somewhere, could be the drivers, do a check by running test on Direct X

Totally-braindead 23:45 03 Jan 06

Should have thought of that as well flyingbrit, go to START, RUN and type in DXDIAG and see if that identifies any problem.

007al 23:45 03 Jan 06

Im guessing AGP as it was 9700.Totally-braindead is probably right with the power issue

Spike_2006 07:22 04 Jan 06

I agree with flyingbrit, put down the resolution, as the game needs a simpler res. Try putting it down and then change the options in the game. If not, you may need a new graphics card.

wolfie3000 07:40 04 Jan 06

try to also shut down any programs that are loading up that you dont need like qttask and others just click on start then run then type in (msconfig) and shut down any programs that you dont need but make sure if your online to have your firewall and anti virus still running.

3.06Ghz 15:28 05 Jan 06

hmmm.. i'm not sure, i upgraded to a 550watt power supply when i got the 9700pro, and i'm sure that's eaily enough. It has a nasty old Advent version of a MSI intel 845ge motherboard, so there are no BIOS updates for it. I also know that the graphics card is working 100% as it comes from my pc at work, whilst the pc passed it's health check at pc world when it still had the 9700. It's all a bit of mystery to me, on paper it should be great!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…