PC Can See Network but Cannt Connect to Internet.

Bodie78 09:50 29 Oct 08

This might be a simlar problem to the thread below. But I will describe it sepratly. Have one Desktop PC (XP Home) and two Laptops (Vista). Have setup a wired/wirless Network using a Siemens Wifi Router from Tiscali, did this about 5 months ago. Have had no problem until Monday this week. All of a suden the Desktop which connects via a Network Cable has lost the internet however it is connected fine to the Network. I have checked the internet connection with one of the Laptops via wifi and the connection is fine. I can log into the Siemens Router on the Desktop and I have looked at the Internet connection from there and it is connected fine. I have run the repair wizard on the Desktops connection and it has made no difference. I have installed a Netgear WPN111 Wifi USB Dongle on the Desktop and connected to the Siemens Router wirelessly thinking the Wired Network Card may be at fault. But the Desktop still would not connect to the Interent. I have also tried a repair on this connection which made no difference. I have also gone through the Network Connection wizard, this has made no difference either. I have tried my old Netgear DG834G Router that I us to use with Tiscali thinking there may be a fault with the Siemens, but the problem was still there. There is no 3rd part Firewall on Desktop only windows firewall which I tried disabling and made no difference.

I'm rapadly running out of ideas. Can any one help with this? I cant see any reason why the Desktop wont connect to the Internet as it is connected to the Network fine.

Is it worth giving it a static IP Address and putting the Default Gateway in manualy?

Would a system restore help?

mgmcc 13:53 29 Oct 08

>>> Is it worth giving it a static IP Address and putting the Default Gateway in manualy?

It won't do any harm to try it.

If you type 66.249.93.104 into your web browser, does that open the Google UK web page? If so, you might have a DNS problem.

Bodie78 14:02 29 Oct 08

I will give that a try this evening when I am back at home. I did wonder if it was a DNS Problem. Also I tried sending a Ping to the Gatway but was unable to in the cmd promt I did not even get an unable to get a reply response it just started a new line?

Bodie78 09:46 30 Oct 08

Right I have tried giving the PC a static IP and putting the Gateway in manually and I still have the same problem.

However I have tried 66.249.93.104 in the browser and get to Google no problem.

Also when I try to ping the Gateway or any IP address I get a error message saying the the NTVDM has crashed.

Could I have a virus that is causing this?

mgmcc 13:45 30 Oct 08

Have a look at this page relating to the repair of ntvdm.exe problems - click here

mgmcc 13:47 30 Oct 08

The link became corrupted, try click here

Bodie78 14:42 30 Oct 08

Thanks for that I have had a look at the link and downloaded and run the tools but the problem appears to still be there.

mgmcc 19:43 30 Oct 08

In the XP PC, open a Command prompt window and run the command:

ipconfig /flushdns

then see if you can access web sites by name rather than IP address.

If there are still problems, try reinstalling TCP/IP by following these instructions *EXACTLY*:

To reinstall TCP/IP in Windows XP, right click the network connection and select Properties. Click the "Install" button, select Protocol and click the "Add" button. In the next box, click the "Have Disk" button and, in the line "Copy manufacturer's files from:", type C:\Windows\inf and click OK. In the next box, click Microsoft in the left pane, then Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the right pane and click "OK". Close all open windows and reboot the PC.

bigaluk 19:52 30 Oct 08

hi im having same sort of problem.i can access internet through cable but not through the wireless it says its connected but dosent allow any connection to internet any ideas????????

mgmcc 07:51 31 Oct 08

>>> hi im having same sort of problem. i can access
>>> internet through cable but not through the
>>> wireless it says its connected but dosent allow
>>> any connection to internet any ideas?

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

Bodie78 09:12 31 Oct 08

Have tried the ipconfig/flushdns and also reinstalling TCP/IP and nether of those have worked.

Any further suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…