PC Building, A scary year in PCA,is this right?

Epirb406 17:19 04 Jan 04

Hi Folks,

ANyone who has read any of my posts knows that I am not the most informed bod around so please tell me if this is wrong.

A stack of PCAs lying around and a house to clear led me to scan the copies and throw out those I didn't need.

I have a vague aspiration to buid a PC some time shortly so was on the look out.

Sure enough October 2002 had a relevant article but more to the point two PC specs, one budget and one high end.

As a light heartted and very much back of the envelope experiment I decided to price both machines at todays prices. Just sitting looking at Ebuyer I tried to price like for like.

15 months ago the high end system cost PCA £1719.65, now it would cost £719.65.

The budget machine, then, £887.40, now, 559.14.

I haven't looked at either in terms of percentage but...OUCH.

We all glibly talk about the progress of technology but surely this crazy? Are we not just throwing our money away? How much better are the last/ next generation and budget/ high end machines. Are we not just paying for development we don't want?

Anyone is welcome to check the sums and let me know what they think,

Cheers, Epirb.

Forum Editor 17:26 04 Jan 04

and indicative of the way the march of technology - coupled to a market that's rapidly reaching saturation - works to make things cheaper.

When I proudly took home my first VCR machine (one of those with clunky keys that you pressed in various combinations) a tape cost around £15. That was at the time of "The" royal wedding, and nobody in my circle of friends would have dreamed of owning a personal computer.How things have changed in a little over two decades.

It's called progress, and it's speeding up, whether we like it or not.

spikeychris 17:31 04 Jan 04

Epirb406, users always want the latest specs, the biggest drives, as much RAM as you can cram in, a processor that runs billions of instructions per second.

These new gen machines cost and the reasearch has to be paid for, its the users end fault. I have always said buy what you need as there is no such thing as future proofing but people always want the best.

Built on for my Mum-in-law and she wanted a 160 Gig drive with all the trimmings..why I asked..it will last longer than you will!! She does a bit of WP and the odd email.

Irrespective of your good thread users call the shots and they want the best.

Epirb406 19:09 04 Jan 04

At least noone else thinks it's worth comment.......................is it because we all feel ripped off?

Cheers, epirb.

DieSse 19:18 04 Jan 04

How can anyone possibly feel ripped off when things get better and cheaper all the time - would you prefer that they didn't?

Everything is now made in China (except KFC, and they're working on that), that's why things are so cheap.

Big Elf 20:12 04 Jan 04

I bought my P4 2.5 system just over a year ago. The same spec is now available at least £300 cheaper but I've had the use of it for that time, it does everything I want and I don't feel the slightest urge to go out and buy another one to replace it. I don't feel ripped off at all but accept that's progess.

Epirb406 20:43 04 Jan 04

£300-00 in a year sounds fine, no probs with that.

But I am suprised thats all it's lost, the PC spec was for a P4 2.4.

But thats by the by, I don't really feel ripped off, maybe thats the wrong expression, however, what are us non games players chasing?

I love my fast PC and the knowlege I've gained getting it. The folks buying an off the shelf model at PC world are doing well.

My thoughts were isn't looking at the bare facts shocking and where will it all end?

Cheers,Epirb.

josie mayhem 21:26 04 Jan 04

I was asked by a work colleague/family friend to build a p.c for gaming, so (must admit) a quick pricing ranging one that would get him going, and could be up-grade a bit more later, and one that was a top spec all sining and dancing afair.

He sounded suprised when I said it would cost between £700- £1600ish, I think he seriously thought that I could build a top spec for a couple of hundred quid?

Needless to say he hasn't got back yet to say weather he wants me to build it or not?

DieSse 22:17 04 Jan 04

"one that was a top spec all sining and dancing afair."

All sining - just what sort of games is he going to use it for ?

;-))

Epirb406 22:18 04 Jan 04

I bet you could build him something pretty special for £700 in 2004!

Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…