pc build problem

DMAN 18:35 12 Oct 04

OK, I just built a pc that keeps cutting out.

The power just cuts out. Is this a dodgy powerpack?

any ideas

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 12 Oct 04

1. wires and fuse in plug on wall socket

2. Wires in wall socket (does anything else cut out when plugged into that socket)

3. cable pushed home fully in back of PC

4. cables fully located on Motherboard.

before condemming Power supply unit

DMAN 18:50 12 Oct 04

well the wires and fuses are always used with my other pc.

The cables are all fully in. It useually cuts out after about 10-15mins.

kakasnarta 18:51 12 Oct 04

need more info....does the system get past the P.O.S.T (POWER ON SELF TEST)do you get any beep codes ...or does the sysyem reach desktop before cutting out etc etc.

goonerbill © ® 18:55 12 Oct 04

sound as if either the CPU is getting to hot and system is shutting down or the PSU is being asked to supply more power than it is able to.

can you post full system specs

DMAN 18:57 12 Oct 04

It gets past the boot up stage without any beeps.

Its when I start to put the operating system on. The cd is running and then the power just it cuts from the system. When i try to reboot it. The power doesn't return and it stays off until I leave it for a bit.

Dorsai 19:01 12 Oct 04

Sounds like a temp problem.

Somthing is not plugged in fully, gets hot (expands), and breaks a connection, or more like the CPU overheating, and the MObo shuts down to prevent damage.

I assume you made sure the CPU heatsink/fan was rated as up to the job for the CPU you have used?

You used thermal paste between heatsink and CPU?

Also, the PSu could be overheating (if not up to the job), and some come with thermal protection features, so they turn off iff too hot, to prevent damage..

But if you follow goonerbill © ® 's suggestion, and post full specs, the fourum can go from there.

DMAN 19:05 12 Oct 04

Athlon xp 2000 processor.
Thermaltake tr2-m3 cooler.
333mhz ddr ram
40 gb maxtor hd.

The cooler is very big and very close to the pwer pack. Could this affect it?

kakasnarta 19:06 12 Oct 04

check power supply voltages
use a voltmeter to check each output from power supply is correct if any output is low especially +5 volt (red) replace power supply

check cpu
with power off check that cpu is cool,that heatsink and fan are prop connected and inserted right if it overheats it will fail taking your system with it

check all expasion boards to see if seated correct

check motherboard for shorts if just fitted it might havemetal traces causing shorts againts standoff etc

DMAN 19:09 12 Oct 04

I don't have a voltmeter. but I will check the rest of these things

Dorsai 19:14 12 Oct 04

This fan? click here

I assume. Is seems to be one with an adjustable fan speed. If this is what you have.

Is it turned up fast enough. It should be up to the job, accordint to the makers, but is is set too slow?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…