pc build problem

DMAN 13:43 02 Oct 04

Just built a computer and am having various problems with it. I haven't yet put the operating system on because when I boot it up it, sometimes the motherboard text is scrambled and the computer freezes. When it doesn't do this, it also likes to turn itself off. I have built many computers before but these problems baffle me. I've checked everything is connected and all jumpers are set properly. Sometimes the motherboard makes three beeps with the first two being together and the final one after a pause.

I notice that the fan is fairly big and is very close to the power supply. Could this have anything to do with it?

Any ideas people?

Thanks

Noelg23 13:52 02 Oct 04

3 beeps...2 short ones and one after a pause...thats not good...I would remove all components and put everything back together one at time...then try again...

Carpigiani 17:34 02 Oct 04

2 beeps followed by any combination usually means a memory problem.
click here for codes

JonnyTub 17:45 02 Oct 04

post your motherboard make here please

Noelg23 17:48 02 Oct 04

yes thats true..again cheers Jonny...make and model of motherboard but also other components..list them all here and we'll see what we can do...

DMAN 11:08 03 Oct 04

Motherboard - asrock k7s41
athlon xp 2000 processor
Generic 256mb DDR Ram
40 GB maxtor hard disk

JonnyTub 11:18 03 Oct 04

Your computer has memory problems. First, check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. Check your SIMMs. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks in which your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all of your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.

JonnyTub 11:19 03 Oct 04

A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. The RAM IC is probably bad

JonnyTub 11:21 03 Oct 04

Sorry i cut and pasted them from ami bios beep code sites, i think the gist of the problem would appear to be faulty memory, try another stick.

Noelg23 12:59 03 Oct 04

I agree with Jonny here...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…