PC Build enquiry

DMAN 09:20 31 Jan 04

Hi,

I'm thinking of building a PC. I've built them before but never with OEM parts. I just wanted to know what this means and what affect it would have on the purchase. Is it something to do with software?

Ok Thanks

Falkyrn 10:05 31 Jan 04

I personally have never heard of OEM being applied to a description of hardware.

OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer it is generally a term applied to software which is supplied without manuals etc. and which was originally intended to be bundled and sold with a particular item of hardware. eg a hard drive or a CD/DVD Drive

keith-236785 10:11 31 Jan 04

i build all my systems using OEM

Falkyrn 10:13 31 Jan 04

Perhaps i should do a little more research before replying to posts .....

It would appear that Dabs (amongst others) now do apply OEM to hardware. However from their terms and conditions they state that they will supply only to registered system builders.

that aside and having looked at a few of the items it could be that they are supplying them without cables , mounts etc and that they are just bare units ... this may suit your particular needs.

Smiler 10:16 31 Jan 04

do you build them three at a time ;-)))

Where the term OEM is applied to hardware, this usually means that the item will not be supplied with any manuals,leads or fixing screws and usually it comes in a plain brown box like the items supplied from PC World's component centre range.

The items are exactly the same but tend to cost quite a bit less.

keith-236785 10:20 31 Jan 04

STUPID ME, sorry, wrong button.

as i was saying i use OEM parts in all my builds due to being a tight yorkshire lad lol

only difference between retail & OEM is that retail box version you get a manual and sometimes extra bundled software.

only item i would be tempted to buy retail is for the cd rw or dvd rw drives, just for the writing software that comes with it.

all oem parts have the instructions/drivers included in the box and most also have the manual on the cd.

gold 47 10:25 31 Jan 04

OEM software and hardware no problems.

Joe McG 10:40 31 Jan 04

OEM as above usually means there are no extra software or fancy packaging.

But one thing to remember is that if you buy an oem cpu, your warranty drops from 3 years to 12 months.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…