P.C Bugs

kench 20:44 04 Jan 05

Can anyone recomend a good free p.c system scan\fix bugs,etc programe to download of the net. Thanks...

Jackcoms 20:50 04 Jan 05

Exactly what sort of 'bugs' are you talking about?

Technotiger 20:51 04 Jan 05

Hi, Ad Aware - AVG (anti-virus) - Zone Alarm (Firewall). There are lots of others but these are what I use - no doubt you will get a lot more recommendations here.

curlylad 00:49 05 Jan 05

Have you got an anti virus program ? Have you got a firewall ? If not get AVG anti virus free click here and get Zone Alarm firewall free click here

Also to get rid of adware , spyware , diallers and other such nasties try these free programs
Spybot click here

Ad-Aware click here

click here

Hope this helps .

Jackcoms 08:51 05 Jan 05

Technotiger and curlylad

I see that you're advising kench to use all the tried and trusted AV and anti-malware programs.

But let's not get carried away - kench hasn't bothered to tell us his definition of 'bugs' as yet!

curlylad 09:54 05 Jan 05

Jackcoms- No kench hasn't told us exactly what is the problem , but it may be that kench is new to computing so 'bugs' to him/her may mean a virus.If it is a virus or adware or malware etc , I am sure that kench will try our suggestions and this could remedy the problem , however if kench already has these types of program then kench I am sure will let us know.As kench has not advised further to the first post , I am assuming that kench is new to this sort of thing and that the advice we have given will be useful.

I don't believe we were getting "carried away" , but just trying to help what I thought was someone in trouble by going through , and giving all the usual starting point advice !

Technotiger 14:15 05 Jan 05

curlylad - Hear hear!!

Jackcoms - no offence mate, but I assumed same as curlylad, kench is probably a Newbie.

Happy 2005 to you all.

Jackcoms 15:06 05 Jan 05

curlylad/Technotiger

"but it may be that kench is new to computing so 'bugs' to him/her may mean a virus".

I don't disagree with you, but I still think we should hear a bit more from kench before we blind him/her with science! :-)

curlylad 12:31 06 Jan 05

Point taken matey , so where are you kench ?

kench 18:59 06 Jan 05

what i mean is a programme to fix errors,corrupted data,etc.

Jackcoms 20:14 06 Jan 05

Several spring to mind and they're all packaged with Windows (XP).

Check Disk

System Restore

Detect and Repair in the various Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook)

sfc /scannow

Other than that, I can't help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…