PC BSOD Clock interrupt error

Sheep_1 10:47 21 Jun 14

Recently my PC has been suffering from Blue screen crashes and other freezing problems. On the Blue Screen it says "Clock interrupt not received on a secondary processor".

These BSOD issues and crashing problems have become persistent when playing on a variety of games and very occasionally happens when I am not playing a game.

I'm not an expert on this sort of problem but I have attempted to look into some minidumps to possibly help me somewhat but unfortunately they haven't helped me at all.

So, I was wondering if anyone on this site can help point me in the right direction to solving this annoying problem?

Sheep_1 11:21 21 Jun 14

Not a 100% sure what I'm doing but I went into the Event Viewer's Administrative Events and found many warnings and errors leading up to the most recent crash. How do I check for BIOS updates?

Sheep_1 12:30 21 Jun 14

My PC was custom-built and I checked online at the manufacturers website. My Motherboard is an 'ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8Z77-V LX' and when I typed that into the site it came up with new updates for the BIOS.

I clicked the newest one and downloaded it but when I looked into the downloaded .ZIP file it contained only a .CAP file. I've never encountered one of these before and was unsure how to open it. Looking online I heard that most BIOS update folders should also contain a README file but this one didn't so I was unsure what to do with it.

Looking back into the Event Viewer I noticed that when the crashing occurs it comes up with an ERROR and then a CRITICAL after it. The ERROR ID is 6008 whilst the CRITICAL ID is 41, though I am not sure what this means.

Another thing by the way was that a few weeks back when I tried to enter the BIOS but it only came up with four options and it said it was a booting agent or something. Looking at other BIOS on other computers they have far more options than my one does. Do you know what's up with that? Anyway thanks for your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 21 Jun 14

Are you overclocking the CPU? if so reset the BIOS to default settings (worth trying even if not overclocking).

Drivers can also cause this problem so check for updated drivers or if recently updated a driver then roll it bak to the old one.

Sheep_1 12:46 21 Jun 14

I have only attempted to update Drivers since the crashing occurred in order to fix it but the updates have not done much from what I can tell. My Intel Core i5-3570K at 3.40GHz CPU is not overclocked.

I'm not sure how to reset BIOS to default settings as my BIOS looks something like this: click here and I can't see how I am meant to reset it.

Sheep_1 12:49 21 Jun 14

Also worth adding is that the BSOD only seem to occur when playing games, even games that require lower specifications than my PC has.

rdave13 12:49 21 Jun 14

As Jock1e's advice. Also from Microsoft " It is likely that your CPU is failing.

However, before replacing it, try this

1.If you are overclocking the CPU, return to normal speed

2.To eliminate oveheating, get a can of compressed air and clean the dust out of your computer

3.Go to the computer manufacturer's website, download and install the latest drivers and BIOS for your model"

Microsoft answers.

Sheep_1 12:53 21 Jun 14

Sometimes it is a freezing error for about 10-20 seconds then it fixes itself but closes down all open windows/programs and the audio cuts out. Meaning I have to restart the computer anyway.

Sheep_1 12:55 21 Jun 14

I did ponder the possibility of overheating. It has got quite dusty and it can sometimes get quite hot in the room the Computer is in. Originally it was placed on a carpet material which I thought would not be the best place to put it on but I had no other choice at the time. I've recently placed it on a wooden material and I will soon go about trying to clean it with a compressed air can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…