PC BROADBAND/FAX/PHONE/ANSWER-PHONE BEST SET UP?

rotormota 16:01 14 Jan 09

Hi,
WINXP

I currently have an AiO fax printer connected(with filter) to the telephone line, a phone connected to an answer-phone which is in turn (with filter)connected to the phone line, PC connected (no filter)to the phone line & lastly the broadband modem (no filter)connected to the phone line. Just in-case you are wondering, all of the above connect to one phone line via a 4 socket phone plug.

Everything works fine except for automatic fax receive. By way of reconfiguring the above (complicated!) I can receive manually. It would be good to be able to have automatic receive though? Apart from that I thought I would ask if this is the best arrangement or perhaps I can get rid of a filter or lead or two by way of another set up & still keep everything working?

Any thoughts?

Regards,
J

Clapton is God 16:29 14 Jan 09

You say that your PC is connected to the phone line without a filter and your BB modem is connected to the phone line.

For what purpose (and how) is the PC connected?

If it’s to enable a dial-up modem to work alongside the BB connection, it needs a filter. Without one, it may be interfering with the fax.

Clapton is God 16:37 14 Jan 09

Another thought.

All this lot is connected to one phone line.

Given that the maximum recommended 'load' on a single line is 4 REN, what's the REN of all your bits of kit?

DieSse 17:18 14 Jan 09

And what happens if you put the fax to auto-answer?

Is there not a "telephone out" socket on the AIO? - this is where you would normally connect a phone/answering machine to - not directly to the phone socket.

Make sure you fax autoanswer is set to less rings than the answerphone - if not the answerphone will respond first.

rotormota 17:24 14 Jan 09

Thanks for your responses. The PC is connected via its phone line out rear connector this is so I can send faxes direct from DTP software. REN quotas are OK.

I haven't tried DieSse's option but will do.

Cheers.
J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…