PC bootup times

lenjam 08:48 AM 22 Sep 11

Currently my bootup time is round about the 2m 50/55 sec mark which I think is too long .I changed out my anti virus (free) from AVG to Avast as it was taking up about 50% of the boot time.Since then Avast is taking about 86s to be exact.I also note that initial access to my browser(Firefox)after boot takes longer. I may revert back to AVG as it was slightly faster in bootup Any suggestions ...... or is it a fact that anti virus software eats up the boot time Thanks

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1 Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz 24 °C Conroe 65nm Technology RAM 2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-6-6-15)

gengiscant 09:06 AM 22 Sep 11

My boot-up time in contrast is around 35 seconds but I do have a SSD as my system drive and I keep a close watch on what loads at start-up. You can use msconfig but it does not show everything that wants to start after you have pressed the power button. I have found this very useful: Start-up help

lenjam 09:23 AM 22 Sep 11

Thanks G in fact it was'Soluto'where I got the info from

lenjam 09:23 AM 22 Sep 11

Thanks G in fact it was'Soluto'where I got the info from

gengiscant 09:33 AM 22 Sep 11

I use the Microsoft Security Essentials with the Windows firewall and Superantispy and Key Scrambler from QFX which is about the limit of my security and as I said I have a SSD but my wife's PC who has the usual hard-drive still only takes 1 min 23 secs to boot which is quite reasonable I think.

You might want to ditch AVG and try something else then use Soluto to pause or delay at least nearly everything else in the green and orange sectors.

onthelimit1 10:53 AM 22 Sep 11

1min 35 sec with W7 64bit and MSE. Most other proga turned off in msconfig.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off