//some 3rd party need geo

PC boots to Win pro screen then switches off?

BIGBAGGY 15:45 16 Oct 05

My PC starts up then goes to the WIN XP PRO screen then switches off and reboots. Continual loop. I don't want to lose whats on it. Anyone any idea how or if I can repair this.

jimv7 15:59 16 Oct 05

Press f8 as the pc starts, choose 'last known good configuration' that might help.

woodchip 15:59 16 Oct 05

Have you tried Safe Mode? then go to MSCONFIG by typing it in run box, look under startup tab to see what is running try removing tick's in box's and restart computer, until you find the problem. Do not remove AV if you go on the net

VoG II 16:18 16 Oct 05
  BIGBAGGY 16:23 16 Oct 05

Tried both of the above neither worked.

splork 16:52 16 Oct 05

go to recovery console after booting with your xp cd, dir to windows/system32/config and see whats in there, should be about 19 files, names like system, software, security, sam, default and corresponding .log files. make a new folder and /copy/ (don't move) them there, then go back to windows/repair and copy those files to windows/system32/config. its a major bodge but might work. restores some of your registry to the first bootup after installation. if it doesnt work, you havent lost anything cos you just need to copy the old files in windows/system32/config/your new folder back again

it will only get you up and running, very few of your installed apps will be `known` to windows, but you could recover your files

zarobian 16:59 16 Oct 05

You can try this:

A.Start Computer in safe mode.

1.Open System Properties;
2.Select Advance tab;
3.At the Startup & Recovery section Click Settings;
4. Under System failure uncheck the box against Automaticaly restart.

B. Start the computer in safe mode;
1. Go to System Restore and select a restore point when you think the cmputer was working properly.

Good Luck.

woodchip 17:09 16 Oct 05

If you look he cannot get into Safe

zarobian 17:15 16 Oct 05

Sorry but he did not mention that he cannot log into Safe Mode. That what was my impression. Just trying to help.

Thanks I should read the thread more attentively.

woodchip 17:22 16 Oct 05

That's Ok I did not mean to offend, but he said that

Tried both of the above neither worked

VoG II 17:27 16 Oct 05

Have you tried the Microsoft fix, BIGBAGGY?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…