PC Boots then shuts down

Lee12 05:59 01 Nov 07

HI everyone, I posted this message earlier today and received some responses and so fare no luck, can anyone with experience please help me to maybe solve this issue, thanks

I have a computer that I built two years ago; I am running WinXP on it. The Mother board is an 865PE-TAG Socket 775 ATX. CPU is an Intel Pentium 4 Processor 54OJ (3.20GHz) with Hyper-Threading Technology. I’m not sure if all this info is needed but I just wanted all of you to know in case it helps with my problem.

Anyway, the other day I was testing a HDD from another PC to my PC. I connected the HDD to my IDA, and set it up as a secondary. After the troubleshooting was done, I connected everything back together. Then turned on my PC and noticed I mistakenly disconnected the CPU from the Motherboard. I shut down the computer and connect back up. Every since then when I boot the PC up an ( Intal Inside Pentium 4) Logo appears on the screen never appeared there before;
I booted up my computer and it loaded all the way. At that time I thought everything was alright, then I clicked an icon on the deck top and the PC just shut down. Sometimes it just starts then loads then shuts down, or just shut down right away. I went into CMOS and checked the PC Health Status and made sure the (Shutdown Temperature) was set the same as before (60c/140F), and it was; and checked the (Fan Temperatures) (30C/86F) and that was the same settings I always had. Checked the (Advanced Bios Features), the boot sequence was correct (HDD-first boot device, which is connect on a Serial ATA. Checked both CD-ROMS – second boot device and third boot device. I tried to isolate the problem by disconnecting the firewire card, then disconnecting the IDE cables for CD-ROMS one at a time, took out Ram and replaced it; I tried everything that I could think of still nothing. Everything else is on board except the Video card and firewire card.
Can anyone please heeeelp me
Thanks.

exodus 11:04 01 Nov 07

Hi, it may have been better to remain with the original post so we know what has been tried.

Anyway, not sure what you mean by: quote
"Then turned on my PC and noticed I mistakenly disconnected the CPU from the Motherboard."

How can you disconnect the CPU by mistake?
Did you remove the CPU for some reason?

As for the Pentium logo appearing, you may have changed something in the BIOS that now permits this splash screen. Double check your settings and disable this option.

The fact that your computer allows access to the BIOS settings as you have managed to check your temperature settings, suggests this is probably an operating system failure and not a hardware failure that is causing the shutdown issues.

Does the computer boot into safe mode and remain stable?

If you have been "playing" with your BIOS settings, I suggest restoring the default settings.

I appear to be having a senior moment, what do you mean by "IDA." Have you since removed the HDD secondary connection and is the same problem remaining?

exo

Lee12 17:26 01 Nov 07

Sorry I meant disconnect the four pin processor fan cable connector to the motherboard 4-pin CPU fan header while I was inside the case troubleshooting the other HDD, and I also meant (IDE CABLES)not (IDA),did mention that I tried the other options that was suggested to me before.
but I really thank you for your response I will try and see what happens
Lee64

exodus 17:38 01 Nov 07

Hi, most modern CPU's have a temperature fail safe cut off. Running without the fan connected may have activated the CPU internal 'switch off' when the "high" temperature was reached. This should not have caused any long term damage to the CPU.

Let us know how the safe mode option and other checks progress in due course.

exo

Lee12 17:10 02 Nov 07

I reset CMOS, there were two options (fail-Safe Defaults) and (Optimized Defaults) I tried both; I also reset the jumpers on motherboard and pull the CMOS battery out and replaced, reset time and date in BIOS. Also, I am not able to get into Safe Mode by continually pressing F8 key. I tried every key from Esc to F12.Can you think of anything else that might help? The only other option I have is to bear bone the motherboard and start replacing everything from scratch.

exodus 19:28 02 Nov 07

Hi, not being able to get into safe mode makes things more difficult.
Try repeatedly tapping the F8 key during the boot process rather than holding it down.

If you get into safe mode, use the last known good configuration option.

I am aware that some computers use an alternative key to F8 but they are the exception to the rule.

A malfunctioning PSU, which is working but not giving sustained voltages, can give unexplained shutdowns. Just something to bear in mind.

Do you have the XP installation disc?
Does the computer have a floppy drive?

exo

Lee12 22:39 02 Nov 07

Hi, thanks for answering. I did repeatedly tap on the F8 key and all the other keys.
Also, that thought did come to mind about the (PSU), I could use a multimeter, but that is not even guaranteed if the Voltage falls within the appropriate range, the PSU can still cause problems, so I read. I might have to replace it with another one, If that doesn’t work I could always take it back.
And yes I do have a WinXP installation disk. But the only way to use XP installation is in safe mode correct?
Last: no my computer does not have a floppy drive.
any thing else that you might have up your sleeve that you can think of that might help?
Thanks for hanging in there with me.
Lee64

exodus 00:16 03 Nov 07

Hi, sometimes the RAM modules may cause boot problems. Maybe worth removing, cleaning contacts and sockets and re-seat. Is the POST memory count OK?

A dodgy motherboard battery may cause strange problems. Losing time or date resetting are the usual symptoms but not always the case.

When done, can you then confirm your current boot problem.
Am I correct in assuming the computer is still perfectly stable when in the BIOS setup windows?

I know safe mode is not an option but what now happens if you try and boot normally. Any error messages or still shutting down without any pattern or error message?

Very difficult to check PSU problems. Fluctuating voltages will occur when it is under load and difficult to measure.

exo

Lee12 01:17 03 Nov 07

Yes the POST memory count is showing, I don’t have any contact cleaner for RAM, is there another method for cleaning the contacts if needed?
Not losing time or date
Do you mean stable like when it boots to the Windows XP screen, because it will boot normally all the way sometimes but not all the time? Computer sometimes will boot to Windows XP splash screen then boot again.
I do get error messages when boot normally, but they flash on then off real fast, I don’t have time to read them. I try to hit the (Pause Break) to freeze the screen but no luck.
I went out and bought another (PSU) , the one I have now is a 400W the new one is a 500W. I will install the new one now.

exodus 19:38 03 Nov 07

Hi, a soft cloth/duster is normally enough to clean the contacts of the ram modules. If they are very dirty, then just run a fine film of Swarfega along the contacts with your finger and polish off with a cloth, which should take the dirt with it.

Regarding stable:

1. Is the computer stable (no switch off or restarting) when in the BIOS screens.

2. Do you ever get to a usable desktop without a switch off or restart.

By default, XP is set to restart when it encounters a problem due to system failure. This is fine when a restart sorts the problem but not so clever in this case of constant restarts. As we can't get into safe mode or a usable desktop, we can't disable the restart option.

If you can get to a usable desktop, disable the restart option via System Properties (keyboard shortcut - Windows key + pause/break key)/ Advanced tab/ Startup & Recovery section, press the settings box/ remove tick from Automatic restarts and Apply.

P.S. I did not intend for you to rush out and purchase a new PSU. I shall feel guilty if the problem remains but at least it is eliminated as the cause.

exo

Lee12 03:25 04 Nov 07

Hi, sorry it took me so long to get back with you.
Sometimes when BIOS loads, the Microsoft WinXP splash screen will appear then reloads again back to the same thing over and over without loading all the way to the desktop. Not sure if that is the correct answer you are asking about.
Not sure about what you meant by (Do you ever get to a usable desktop without a switch off or restart). But I think did mention computer will load to the desktop sometimes then shuts down all the way.
I will try the last option you suggested if I can ever get to the desktop long enough
And it's ok about the (PSU), I haven't connected it yet, but it won't hurt to try and see if that is the cause. I was too lazy to connect it last night; got tired of looking at it yesterday and messing with it. I will start back on it tomorrow.
BY THE WAY, the computer does give me (1 BEEP), which tells me I am getting a normal POST. Please tell me what your thoughts are about that.
Thanks
lee64

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5